2008 Siverado stuck in 2nd gear

Stopped at a red light, the engine light came on, and I discovered i couldn't drive any faster than 25=30 mph. Truck was in 2nd, maybe 3rd gear. Did make it home(with flashers on). wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

It's Sunday, will try to take it to my mechanic and put it on the analyzer this week.

So this is your first experience with "limp" mode?  The computer is always monitoring a lot of stuff.  For fairly benign codes it might just light up the Check Engine Light (CEL).  For really benign codes I think it might not even do that, and just store the codes.  For more serious codes to really get your attention, it not only lights up the CEL, but goes into limp mode and won't rev over 2000 rpm and/or limit your speed, but it will let you "limp home", as you did. [<<<edited to be more clear]

On mine, there is a notorious problem with the injector connectors.  When one goes open, it throws the code, lights up the CEL, and then shuts down half of the cylinders.  Yes, it gets your attention.

ASAP, get the codes read (many auto supply stores will do it for free).  It's the only way to know what's wrong.

Archived