Service brake booster?

2007 Silverado 1500 W/T 4.8 automatic regular cab long bed. Just bought this 2007 from an auction. 170k miles. Trucks runs and drive great but the service brake booster message comes on and stays on when you start the truck. I tried pulling codes with my reader and there are none. This must take the TechII ready that pretty much no one can afford. I dont want to run out and replace the brake booster if that not the issue. Any ideas? 

1 hour ago, starman8tdc said:

I would start by checking the brake fluid levels, check ALL of your in cab and under hood fuses, and confirm that your vacuum hose to the booster and / or vacuum pump are working correctly. If that didn't fix it, I would start Google'n the issue and posting in requests for info in forums. 

All fluids are good. I spent a couple hours googling the issue. Nothing helped. Nothing clear. I learned that pretty much everything but a bad brake booster will cause this message. 

Interestingly enough, because of a website clerical error, you would get paid $11.27 for every one of these that you buy, via rebate: The rebate exceeds the cost of the part. 

Cardone 54-74833 Remanufactured Power Brake Booster

Was: $51.29 
Price: $48.73 Free Shipping for Prime Members
You Save: $2.56 (5%)
Post-purchase rebate: $60.00 Rebate forms 
Price after rebate: ($11.27)

Edited by starman8tdc

9 hours ago, starman8tdc said:

$48 with 2 day shipping included. Verify fitment prior to purchase. 

Except if you google the issue. Everyone says that "Service Brake Booster" will never be triggered by the brake booster. I have no issues replacing it if it fixes the problem. From everything I read there is nothing in the system to actually check the brake booster. The message is porely written and points to other issues. 

It may not solve the problem, but its free to try. Better than free. You profit over $11 just by installing this on your rig. The rebate exceeds the cost of the part. I don't think it will solve the issue, but if your getting paid to replace it - why not give it a shot? 

Edited by starman8tdc

1 hour ago, redvett said:

Do you have a vacuum pump mounted on the booster and a hose going to the booster? If so the pump may be bad. Thats the only way the cluster would know the vacuum is low in booster. 

nope. Hose coming off the back of the engine to the booster like most gm trucks. 

It a know issue when power steering is low, or the cluster has been changed. There are several service bulletins about different things causing this issue. From spending a few hours in google its pretty much a guarantee its not the booster. 

12 hours ago, starman8tdc said:

Did you already try disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes with the ignition on? 

Yes. Over night. Message went away and came right back. 

Turns out the transmission is shot. The message was gone until I got on the highway and truck tried to go into 4th. Its trashed. Seems clutches in 3rd and 4th are no good. I am keeping my fingers crossed that rebuilding the tranny will make the message go away. Not likely but hopefully. 

10 hours ago, starman8tdc said:

Dude, don't drop thousands on a trans. You can replace the truck cheaper than the trans. Junk yards will sell a trans for 100, and you can get it installed for 300. 

I paid $1400 for the truck. A tranny from a junk yard is $800 + more for shipping for a 2007. Its a one year only transmission. I can install it. Did two last week. I will buy every 2007 you can find me that kinda runs and drives for $1,000. Book is $7000. I will sell it for around $6000 with a new tranny. Its very much worth fixing. Please... find me a couple dozen 2007 Chevy trucks for $100 each. I will gladdly pick them up pretty much anywhere in America, fix them and make $6000 a truck.  No one ever mentioned thousands for a trans. Its only $1200 full warranty with stronger then factory parts and my guy is taking it out and putting it in. Freeing me up to work on something else. That puts me in the truck for $2700. Low trade in is $3200.  Around $2500 profit for a days work. 

Ah. Sounds like you know what your doing with vehicles. Most people drive to the dealer and say "please fix what ever is wrong with it". The dealer would probably be $3,500+ to replace the trans. There was a post a few days ago where a guy paid the dealer $2,700 to fix a water leak from a window gasket. 

I'm working on a 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 today. Rod knock. 

As for part pricing: 

http://www.picknpull.com/part_pricing.aspx?LocationID=136&NavItem=0&SearchCriteria=transmission&#partpricing