2015 Sierra radio screen going haywire

My 2015 GMC CAYNON  is doing the same thing the Software is whacked out -puts my phone on hold- which could be dangerous if I need to call 911 - puts my phone on mute— switches radio stations - the display— holy cow like it’s possessed - radio display will all of a sudden display all the channels in the little rectangular boxes and/or display a list of channels that constantly move. Turns the radio on or off randomly.  also randomly the navigation screen would display off and on. This should be recalled and replaced

mine started about 2 weeks ago but with short trips never bothered me too much however with a 2 plus hour ride yesterday.  All hell broke loose.  

any fix? Thanks so much

I'm reading about a lot of owners who have the same or similar problem but haven't read a lot about any fix for it.  My 2017 Sierra Denali has the same phantom application/radio station switching issues but also the touch screen is inoperable so I can no longer control what I see or hear.  To add insult to injury my "Keep your eyes on the road" government warning has now appeared and I cannot remove it - again because the touch screen doesn't work.  Have taken it to the dealer twice  - once to reset it, once to reprogram and update the software.  Now they say the HMI module needs to be replaced - they "think".  For $900 installed.  I'm hesitant because I suspect it could be a physical issue such as the touch screen itself.  Love the truck otherwise but Fords are beginning to look really good to me.

• 1 month later...

I was one of the earlier posts on this topic.  My '17 Sierra Denali (out of warranty), still has the issue after 4 months although it has settled into the touch screen not responding at all.  Dealer says "They all do it" (comforting to know...).  The dealer said replacing the HMI module fixes the issue 90% of the time.  $900 after installation, tax, etc.  I said what if it doesn't fix it?  She said, it's a chance you have to take.  As I stated previously, I really want to love this truck but after the low speed braking recall (still isn't fixed), transmission chattering (fixed under drivetrain warranty), and this infotainment issue I'm getting worn out.  First American vehicle I've purchased in over 20 years and it hasn't been a good experience.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello guys,

I have a 2016 Silverado and it's doing what the OP said and I have found a fix for mine. It was scrolling all the stations on the touch screen, changing frequencies randomly, the touch screen wouldn't work & bringing up the audio menu on the DIC. It would malfunction more when the weather was cold but seemed to work better when it was warmer. So right before our freeze here in S. Texas I snapped the cover off and investigated. The first thing I saw after removing the four screws holding the touch screen was four flat white ribbon cables that are pieces of S*#t that I thought they abandoned back in the 90's. These things are famous for bad connections & nobody in their right mind uses them anymore. So I carefully lifted the tabs on the black connectors holding the ribbon cables, took out the ribbon cable and immediately put it back in to reset. I did this on all four white ribbon cables.

When you do this, be ever so careful, insert a small flat head screwdriver on top of the white cable and between the white ribbon cable and the black connector. Twist it a little bit to raise the connector on left side, move to the middle and raise it and then to the end. Once it's open remove the cable, reinsert and snap the black connector back down. AGAIN be very careful as the connectors are very delicate and if you damage them, you're toast. Good luck, it took me about 45 minutes to do this including taking off the trim. Check utube or somewhere to remove the plastic, there are videos all over for that, no tools needed.

• 2 months later...
On 5/16/2019 at 6:31 PM, Alan Bouziane said:
  • I

Sean, I have the exact same truck as you...2015 Sierra SLT and I'm having the exact issue you had with your radio. I have researched this for several months now. I was told it was a faulty touch screen, a bad circuit board, HMI unit going bad, etc, etc. I hated to spend big bucks chasing this issue. I recently purchased a complete dash cluster from a totaled 2016 Denali for $170. Installed it and it worked great...for 2-3 hours, then the same issue began again. So it took $170 to determine it's not the touch screen and not the circuit board it plugs into. Now I'm wondering if its the HMI unit under the glove box, but those are $700! I hate bring it to the dealer 'cause I know I'd get shafted. I got a quote for an aftermarket system and that's $800+! I believe I'll do the Dealer because if it doesn't work then, they have to figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a 2015 Sierra.  Same issues.  Bought an HMI and the radio upgrade (Apple car play etc) from WAMS it was a grand total of $1000.00   

Unfortunately the issue remains.  when it happens I shut the truck off and open the driver's door, close it and restart.  This seems to "reset" things but it doesn't last.  It pisses me off so much  Grr.  I took my panel out on top of the dash and chased the "bad ground"  there was none.  I think the issue must be with the blue connector that plugs into the HMI behind the glove box.  If it's bad wiring then I'm not sure what can be done?  There's a whole wire harness that plugs into the HMI.  I've no idea what the other wires go to.  The bad ground near the A pillar is a fools errand though.  Don't bother with that.  It's an issue that GM needs to address but simply will not own up to.  

All of that being said I do like the factory stereo upgrade that I got from WAMS  it has apple car play etc and when it's working properly it's great.  

If anyone comes up with a true solution PLEASE share it here!!  Besides this issue I love my truck!

2015 Sierra 1500 SLT 64K miles  Not a scratch!  LOL

• 1 year later...

I have a 2016 Siverado that has the same problems/symptons. Ready to burn the truck down.

I did the "Turn Screen Off' thing in the settings and it works awesome most of the time.

I do it as soon as I turn the key on. Every once in awhile it may turn the screen on showing the selections to turn screen off. Click that to turn it off. Also, seems some bumps will trigger the screen to come back on.

If you turn a knob like the AC temp or whatever you have to push the screen off selection again.

But it has made driving the truck great again!

:)

This would suggest that it is the screen that is the problem?

• 4 months later...