2015 Sierra radio screen going haywire

• 4 months later...

So I’m having the same issue with my 15 Silverado. It goes into browse mood all by itself, constantly. Well, now it’s started to hide the favorites and only show one gray button. My truck seems to be losing battery power and takes longer cranks to start. When it doesn’t start at all, I jump it and it flickers in and out of power on the cluster, reading “anti-theft”, “2 keys programmed” and “battery saver”. I replaced a battery a few months ago. It happens. Then I finally left it at the dealership with a print out of similar post. I have them a week while I was out of town and let them take full advantage of the Auto Nation Platinum warranty. All they did was replace the head unit. It started doing it again a few days later. Now it’s super annoying and i believe it is related to the truck not starting. When I cycle it and only one gray favorite shows up, AC seems to only blow cool and not engage properly. 

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is doing the same as well. It repeatedly hits the pause button or goes into the category section when on the radio screen. Or when on the home screen it will go into the weather app. It seems to push a certain section of the screen. Recalibrating the screen did nothing. I really hope they recall this issue. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/6/2020 at 10:26 PM, Mbauer said:

I had the same problem with my 2015 GMC Canyon. Turns out it was a bad radio control unit. It cost me $800 in parts and labor to have the dealership fix it. 

Hi,

I am experiencing the same issue among a few other things. I have a 2015 gmc sierra with the 6.2. Something is going on electrically, and I just dumped $ 2500 in an attempt to fix it between two shops (dealership which is cheaper and they throw me discounts due to my cousin working there, and the other at an electric mechanic shop). The same issue is still happening and actually getting worse...

Symptoms:
Timeline note: I put Borlas (s-type) on the truck, and that's when these electrical issues started happening. No welding, they come pre-welded.

1.) navigation was zooming in and out on its own, and picking areas as if we touched the screen
2.) often the touch screen no longer responds; if I kill the engine, it sometimes comes back and is responsive
3.) my transmission gauge temperatures fluctuate erratically, by 3-10 degrees either direction continuously
4.) after the dash was updated, it went black with some lights - GM engineering said it was circuitry damage; ordered the part
5.) truck wouldn't power up; replaced the battery and it's now working
6.) replaced the dash, and now my windows won't drop when I hold the unlock key; all the previous issues (1-3) still apply

I love this engine and this truck, and my heart is really not in getting rid of it just yet but these repairs are killing me and they seem to be making things worse. Any help is appreciated... I'm otherwise just going to suck it up and dump the damn thing. The dash and radio replacement did not fix anything, and the truck overall is getting worse... Any thoughts? 

Thanks,
Aaron

• 1 month later...
On 2/16/2020 at 12:58 AM, Rick S said:

Thanks for the feedback Dem chevy and Jim C. Since my original post in early January I replaced the HMI module and the radio module to the upgraded 2016 modules that includes Apple Car Play and Android Auto that I purchased online from MVI. The first two times I drove the pickup after I did the upgrade the icons on the InfoCenter went into edit mode but they did not move around. I contacted Anthony at MVI and he suggested I clean the connections on the back of the LCD display. I removed the display assembly from the dash and disassembled so I had access to the back of the LCD display and the circuit board on the back of the display. I sprayed some Deoxit deoxidizer on a wood stick cotton swab and cleaned both ends of all 3 ribbon cables. I also cleaned the connecters that these ribbon cables attach to. I reassembled the assembly and reinstalled on the dash. It has been 3 weeks since I cleaned the cables and connectors and the LCD display has been working normal. I will update if I have any more issues.

8578D838-35E6-49AA-BABC-08553386A8ED.heic 1.76 MB · 230 downloads EFB7DF1D-D6BE-4735-B20E-65D6D813AC57.heic 2.28 MB · 60 downloads

Any update on how the fix you did is lasting?

I have a 2017 Sierra at the dealership now getting warranty work for the exact same issue...touch not working, then icons moving around themselves, the radio info popping over to the DIC by itself, and I keep hearing the touch sound like someone is touching the screen. They told me they had to order a part and it will be ready tomorrow. I will post the results tomorrow and I hope it works.

Got mine back from the dealership today. Here is the service comments they provided. There is a new plastic film over the touchscreen so I assume they replaced the whole head unit. I hope this works but some have reported that this did not fix it. I know a parts manager at another dealership and he said the Cadillac units were bad for doing all of the described behaviors, but he was surprised a GMC unit was doing it. I would assume they were basically all the same...

20200924_184903.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

New guy here with a 15 Denali purchased in Aug 2020. My touchscreen was unusable doing the same thing. I took the dash apart and removed the screen. I sprayed it with contact cleaner and condensed air. WORSE!! So I ordered a replacement screen online ($300ish) but two days before it arrived, the screen works perfectly. Now on vacation 8hrs from home and it didn’t mess up once on the trip. Go figure 

• 3 weeks later...

i have the radio station popping up on the dic as well. change back to the info for the speed to be shown but does not stay. Now the screen jumps to the clock but can't change the date. (which is showing Feb even though it is october!! Now my bluetooth is not reconizing my contacts and when I make a call the caller cant hear me!! 

What is shot,radio??? Help with this would be appriecated!! Thanks

Thanks for the posts, guys.  Has anyone figured out how to fix this yet?  I'm having the same issues (screen acting like it's being touched, switching screens on its own, favorites menu, etc as well as the media menu switching on the DIC on it's own) on my 2016 LML Sierra Denali 2500HD.  I spoke with the dealer and with only 38k miles, i'm out of warranty and he suggested an aftermarket stereo, which, as you all know is an absurd suggestion as it would involve losing all non-media functionality of the touch screen and bypassing the factory amplifier, etc.  I've looked online at MVI and infotainment and I'd be willing to replace the parts if that will solve the issue, but I just want to make sure it's the modules or the screen not some ground wire or dirty connections on the back of the display.

Thanks,

Ben

Since they replaced my head unit, I have not had any problem with it. That being said, its not my daily driver at the moment. I have driven it maybe 6 times and have not had any issue. Before being replaced, it would do it almost every startup. 

I replaced the “Capacitive LCD with Touchscreen“ from factory radio repairs. Took less than an hour. About $300. It’s been two weeks and I haven’t had any problems. The replacement has a glossy screen but with tinted windows there’s no glare. I’m so happy I fixed it.