Max tire size with no lift/level?

2018 Silverado Custom 2wd. Just bought the truck about a month ago, already not liking the Continental tires (275/55/20) that are on it, on wet roads, and with winter approaching I think I'll be swapping them out fairly soon.

I'm not looking to increase diameter on the tires, but I am batting around the idea of going with 305/50/20 AT's to get a bit more footprint. I notice the 275/55's are pretty close to the inner fenders now, but the 305's won't add a gob of width.

Will they fit without mod's? If not, what mod's are necessary so they don't rub? Not sure if I want to put a level kit on it to raise the front, I like a little rake.

I realize this topic has probably been covered, but I am evidently not getting the right terminology for the search feature to return concise results without going through threads that are 20 pages long to find the one post that answers the question.

Thanks for any help.

I have a  2018 Chevy 1500 4wd with 2inch Leveling kit....put 35” Nitto grappler same size as 305x20x12.5.

and it DOES RUB!...alot.

I even have a -19 offset on my wheel.

couldnt do a full turn. 

I fixed it by...taking the mudguard out, cutting the inside bottom wheel well, hammered it in about 1.5inch. And some cutting of the wheel well guard.

its better...but still rubs very slight at fullturn.

in other words, i cannot go offroading yet, not until i get my lift.

7inch lift scheduled tomorrow. I cannot wait!

The Continental Terrain Contact AT's are supposed to be really good in wet conditions and they are a nice looking tire too. Any snow driving? Lots of good reviews all the way around on them. Not sure which model Continental's are on your truck right now, but maybe check them out?

Edited by Cupton

Honestly, I haven't looked to see what series Continental tires are on it. They seem OK on wet pavement, but seem to hydroplane pretty easy in a heavier rain.

Occasional snow driving, just trips into snow country for work, mostly timing that to avoid really nasty weather. My driving is mostly hwy, but I hunt & fish too, so it sees a bit of light off-road and some boat ramps that can get pretty nasty (slimy, sandy, mud covered, high water). I have a 4wd for the local nasty stuff, but she ain't a road trip type of vehicle. Been researching tires, about settled on the Cooper Zeon for the new one.

Just curious if any trimming or level is necessary to turn a 305/50/20?

I am running KO2's in 285/65/20 and mine rub ever so slightly at full turn in either direction. I'm sitting at stock height with the factory 20's. The rub is noticeable when doing full u-turns or turning too sharply. I don't think 305/50 will fit without trimming at least a bit of your trim. With a level, I'm pretty confident you'll fit fine height wise but your full sweep might be close too. I guess it would depend on which height level you go. 2" might still need trim. 2.5" might be just enough. Anything over that and you'd might as well get a lift kit.