Rubbing noise when steering wheel is turned.

Silverado_Driver_2001

Question

I drive a 2001 Chevy Silverado 1500. It has a noise like I said only when you turn the wheel to the right. Not the left. I talked to someone I knew that had this problem and they said it could have something to do with the 4-wheel drive. Could that be one problem or is there something else causing it?

6 answers to this question

Noises are tough to diagnose over the net here ... but does it sound like metal on metal, or like plastic touching something that's spinning?

If it only happens when turning, it could be a bad CV axle, or just something laying on one of the CV boots - a chunk of rust still attached to the knuckle, or a stick that got jammed up inside the control arm, or any number of things. Could also be something jammed in there that is pushing the brake rotor dust shield into the rotor when turned to the right.

Best thing to do is give everything a good, thorough visual inspection on either side - look for anything that's touching anything that spins when underway, like the CV axle, tire, rim, or brake rotor. Usually there will be a telltale rub mark wherever there's contact, depending on what is contacting what.

1 hour ago, Jsdirt said:

Noises are tough to diagnose over the net here ... but does it sound like metal on metal, or like plastic touching something that's spinning?

If it only happens when turning, it could be a bad CV axle, or just something laying on one of the CV boots - a chunk of rust still attached to the knuckle, or a stick that got jammed up inside the control arm, or any number of things. Could also be something jammed in there that is pushing the brake rotor dust shield into the rotor when turned to the right.

Best thing to do is give everything a good, thorough visual inspection on either side - look for anything that's touching anything that spins when underway, like the CV axle, tire, rim, or brake rotor. Usually there will be a telltale rub mark wherever there's contact, depending on what is contacting what.

I'll give it a thorough look over in the daytime. The nights are turning colder here.

On 2018-10-17 at 3:54 PM, Jsdirt said:

My 2001 Sierra C3 just started to do something similar. But it is when I turn left even slightly. It sounds like a plastic rub not metal and not constant but pulsed. I couldn’t see anything but I haven’t gone underneath yet it’s too damn cold. 

On 10/17/2018 at 5:54 PM, Jsdirt said:

Took it to a mechanic about a month after I made this thread. Turns out it was what the tires were mounted on in the front. It doesn't do it now. To those who may also have the same problem, you may want to get the tire mounts checked. It may be the bearing going out.

Sounds like a bad hub bearing - the 1 thing I didn't mention in the list, LOL. Replaced many of these over the years. Another GM staple.  Glad you got it taken care of. :thumbs:

Edited by Jsdirt