Water damaged headliner?

I have a 2017 Silverado that I bought new in February 2017. After it rained all weekend I went to my truck and noticed it felt humid inside the truck. After looking around I noticed the headliner has water damage from piler to piler. I took it to dealership today which they told me it was the drain channels on the roof. I asked why and was told they got clogged. Has anyone else had this issue? I’ve had a lot of vehicles and never had this issue. My truck is kept clean but does stay outside. However I bought a truck it needs to hold up to the simple stuff like being outside. The dealer is going to warranty it but I’m not keeping it if this a normal Chevy issue that I will end up having cover when the warranty runs out.

b5f53d9268728b4ebcf1bf719e56d44c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is your third brake light leaking just as the shark fin leaks constantly as well. Keep your eye on that shark fin at your front seat. The dealer blames the sunroof drain channels and all that bullshit, apparently it is that GM doesn't know how to get a goddamn gasket set properly for anything that goes to the cab roof. I've been dealing with this since 2015 when I had 200 miles on my truck. Mine is specifically the shark fin that becomes a problem. Sometimes when it rains it leaks and then sometimes it doesn't go to the car wash it leaks and sometimes it doesn't. I've documented my situation and told them I was worried about mold, having survived cancer with a stem cell transplant I don't need to be around this type of crap, they will cover it under warranty however I would make a big stink about it and see if they can get it fixed right away. When I'm done with this truck I will not be going with GM products anymore which is a shame because it is the little things that they screw up it's not really the big things. Also, be careful when they do a test for water infiltration, my dealer was so stupid that they took a garden hose and they rub it all up and down the side of the truck causing 3 days worth of paint repair.

I do have to say with all the complaints and being back five times or so that the leaking is much less than it has ever been but I feel it will be a constant battle. Therefore I am done with GM.

Good luck with the third brake light leaking, I would have them remove and replace the headliner in case mold develops up inside and if they refuse to do that raise holy hell with the service manager. Mold will not only hurt your health and a very short period of time it will also diminish the quality of your vehicle and your potential resale value.

Would you buy a flood vehicle?

• 1 year later...

I'm having this same issue.  I bought a 2016 GMC Sierra from the dealership ~$50k, 2-3 months later called them and told them that I have fog and even frost on the INSIDE of my windows (mainly the windshield). Took it to the dealership later and they couldn't find a problem, so I kept driving it.  They looked at the rear sliding glass and the sunroof and didn't see an issue.  I complained about it 4 times over the first 2 years and they couldn't find an issue!  It only fogs up in the Winter here in Alabama, so the Summertime, I was only noticing humidity.  It was under warranty the first several times I've complained and they "visually inspected it". Long story short, just this weekend, I was removing the jack and lug wrench when I felt the back carpet around them was soaking wet in my crew cab and I see round splotches of fuzzy green and black mold between the rear seats!  I started looking at it to find out what was wrong.  Removed the 3rd brake light and poured a full cup of water and pollen out of it! There was mold all under the carpet and even between the leather seats in the back!  Took it to GM dealership, they had to pull everything out, clean it, dry it and apply mildew inhibitor.  They can't fix the stained headliner without replacing it. That requires the windshield to be removed and cost over $1,100 just for the part.  I've been complaining for years about this to GM and it is documented, but now my truck is out of warranty officially, so I'm out of pocket to try to fix!  They offered 20% payment today, and told me that this was a known issue!! Long story short, GM is a bunch of unethical, greedy money making moguls and I'll NEVER own another product made by them again!!!!!!!  Shame on those greed filled con artists for taking advantage of women owners and mistreating loyal customers!!  #NEVERagain

23 hours ago, Annoyed100% said:

I'm having this same issue.  I bought a 2016 GMC Sierra from the dealership ~$50k, 2-3 months later called them and told them that I have fog and even frost on the INSIDE of my windows (mainly the windshield). Took it to the dealership later and they couldn't find a problem, so I kept driving it.  They looked at the rear sliding glass and the sunroof and didn't see an issue.  I complained about it 4 times over the first 2 years and they couldn't find an issue!  It only fogs up in the Winter here in Alabama, so the Summertime, I was only noticing humidity.  It was under warranty the first several times I've complained and they "visually inspected it". Long story short, just this weekend, I was removing the jack and lug wrench when I felt the back carpet around them was soaking wet in my crew cab and I see round splotches of fuzzy green and black mold between the rear seats!  I started looking at it to find out what was wrong.  Removed the 3rd brake light and poured a full cup of water and pollen out of it! There was mold all under the carpet and even between the leather seats in the back!  Took it to GM dealership, they had to pull everything out, clean it, dry it and apply mildew inhibitor.  They can't fix the stained headliner without replacing it. That requires the windshield to be removed and cost over $1,100 just for the part.  I've been complaining for years about this to GM and it is documented, but now my truck is out of warranty officially, so I'm out of pocket to try to fix!  They offered 20% payment today, and told me that this was a known issue!! Long story short, GM is a bunch of unethical, greedy money making moguls and I'll NEVER own another product made by them again!!!!!!!  Shame on those greed filled con artists for taking advantage of women owners and mistreating loyal customers!!  #NEVERagain

Is GM themselves offering the 20%, or is it the dealership offering it  trying to hide what they should have done long ago?

Pretty sure that the windshield does not need to be removed to get the headliner out.

Do you have a case number with GM?

Remember GM just builds the trucks, the dealerships, who are independently owned, are the ones who maintain them. GM can help you with this if you choose to pursue it.