Trailer brake controller/brake pedal issues

I have a 2011 Silverado with a Impulse trailer controller that was installed when purchased the truck new.  In the last 6 months, my trailer brake would randomly stay on, it was like I was lightly holding the brake pedal.  But if I either hit the brake pedal and let it spring back or if I put my foot under the brake pedal and lift up or towards me the trailer controller goes off.  At first I though it was the trailer, but I run 2 and they both randomly do this.  Then the controller, but it all seams fine.  It is just weird that if I tap, hit or lift the break pedal it goes away.  By the way this happens even when the trailer is not being used.  The controller always lights up when the truck brakes are used, just gives a code telling me there is no trailer hooked up, (normal operating procedure).  Now that it is nice and cold it is on all the time until the truck gets nice and warm, even though no trailer is hooked up.  I have to believe there is a sensor or something telling that controller when to turn on.  Now with that all said, when this is all happening the truck break lights are not lit until pressure is applied to the pedal.  Anyone have any thoughts?  I have two mechanics stumped and wanting to start tearing into things.

Second question, who makes the best fitting and looking seat covers 40/20/40 configuration.

Edited by Chad van hove
additional question

The brake switch at the top of the pedal has more than one circuit in it. One may be gone. Does your cruise light go out when this happens or do you occasionally get traction control or stabilitrac errors on the DIC? I would replace the brake pedal switch it is cheap and see if it corrects the issue.