I messed up something while running a power wire for sub

cylon58

Question

2015 Silverado LT Crew Cab

BACKGROUND - Last night I ran a 0 gauge power wire through the big boot on the driver side dash.  I first unhooked the battery.  I used a sharpened coat hanger to poke through the book from the engine bay (stupid in hind sight).  On my first attempt the coat hanger poked right through the big wiring harness that comes though that boot.

In the process I also unbolted the junction box behind the brake pedal and unsnapped the front connectors to be able to better access the firewall.

While I was running the power wire to the back of the truck I reconnected the battery to move the driver seat forward.  While the battery was connected I accidentally touched the power wire to an unpainted bolt and grounded it very briefly on the truck.

behind the radio I installed a wiring harness from LLJ customs (pre built line converter harness).  I disconnected this when I realized there was a problem.

PROBLEM - when I reconnected everything I have 2 problems.  (1) The back up camera says "service rear vision camera" with a grey screen (no picture) (2) the gauge cluster display reads "Service power steering - drive carefully" and there is no power steering.

QUESTION - How screwed am I?  would this be a fuse problem or have I most likely damaged an important wire in the wiring harness?  Could the damage to a wire have caused more severe damage to an on-board computer?  Can I diagnose and repair myself or should I take the truck to a dealership?  

THE REAL PROBLEM - this is my fiance's truck, not mine - I need to get it fixed ASAP no matter the cost

Edited by cylon58

2 answers to this question

You might have fried one or more modules, since these things flake out on their own half the time ... but before we panic, check ALL your fuses - the minis, the J-cases - all of them. Use a test light to confirm continuity on BOTH sides of the fuse. On J-cases, the plastic top can be removed to do this test.

If the all check out good, disconnect the battery for a few hours and leave it that way - after a few hours pass, reconnect  the positive first, then connect the negative as quickly as possible to avoid "double tapping" the connection. Sometimes this will get the stupid out of all the magic boxes.

17 minutes ago, Jsdirt said:

You might have fried one or more modules, since these things flake out on their own half the time ... but before we panic, check ALL your fuses - the minis, the J-cases - all of them. Use a test light to confirm continuity on BOTH sides of the fuse. On J-cases, the plastic top can be removed to do this test.

If the all check out good, disconnect the battery for a few hours and leave it that way - after a few hours pass, reconnect  the positive first, then connect the negative as quickly as possible to avoid "double tapping" the connection. Sometimes this will get the stupid out of all the magic boxes.

OK, I'll go do this now.  Thank you