Lower Control Arm Bushings?

My 2001 2500HD (2WD) is getting a complete overhaul on the front suspension.  I'm replacing the pitman arm, the idler arm, the upper control arm, tie rod ends,  the stabilizer link, shocks and lower ball joint.  So far all of that is complete.  I also bought the lower control arm bushings.  Given that the steering knuckle is out, I can get the lower control arms out in about 10 minutes (2 bolts and loosen the torsion bar and I'm done).  However, I've not seen any youtube videos or anything on replacing these bushings.  They seem to be in good shape, but I'm a bit nervous about tearing into them and potentially damaging the control arm or otherwise opening up a can of worms on something that doesn't seem broken (yet).  On the other hand, I've got the thing apart, I have the replacement parts, and I'd like to only align this thing once.

What do you guys think?  Is getting these rubber f-ers out a doable job.  (note:  I don't have a hydraulic press..  I was able to get the lower ball joints out with a big hammer and a lot of MAP gas.  I still have the ball joint install tool if that'll help with the bushings)

EDIT:  the truck has 190k miles on it. (if that matters).  All Arizona miles, so not much rust, but DAMN it was hard getting that knuckle off, the ball joint off, and the pitman arm off)

Edited by rszimm

Getting the rubber bushings out shouldn't be a huge deal, as you can burn or drill them out.  You might be get the new ones in with a vise or even pound them in with a hammer. You aren't going to damage the LCA unless you actually try to.

But, I haven't actually done it myself...

Edited by davester

• 8 months later...

The lower control arm bushings easily press out using a ball joint press. You can get loaners/rentals from the a couple of the big brand auto parts stores. Much faster and cleaner than burning them out.

Edited by jcpwrd
typo

• 2 weeks later...
The lower control arm bushings easily press out using a ball joint press. You can get loaners/rentals from the a couple of the big brand auto parts stores. Mush faster and cleaner than burning them out.

Have you actually done this for these HD trucks? I’m not sure if I need to spend the $15 in new bushings or $300 for two new entire LCA assemblies.

They do sell just the bushings, so they are designed to be replaced.  A ball joint press should work ok, as it can generate a good amount of force, might be awkward to hold steady if you don't have a vise or something to hold the LCA while you are cranking on the press, and maybe need to use a socket or a short section of pipe if the smallest included tube is too large for the bushing.

You probably can even use a hammer on them to get them out.

Edited by davester

I have not pressed out the bushings on an 2500HD LCA , however IMO a ball joint press (BJP) should still work as from what I can tell the 2500 LCA is nearly the same.

On 2500 LCAs it took less than 5 minutes per bushing to press them out using a BJP. (I had taken the LCAs to a shop for them to do it with their hydraulic press and they could not do it as they could not get the LCA set up within the opening - so I brought them back to my garage and pressed them out with the rental tool I already had for doing the ball joints).

Lower Control Arm Bushing removal using ball-joint press.jpg

Edited by jcpwrd
added photo of how to remove control arm bushing with ball joint press.

• 3 years later...