Another tire question

I have a 2018 2500HD CC Midnight Edition and it's time for new tires.  The original (Duratracs) 'only' lasted about 35000 miles.  Not sure if this is typical, but a tread block tore away and am now seeing threads.  Anyway, the truck is all stock and the tires on it are 275/65/18.  Can i fit a bit bigger tire under it without making any other changes?  I've read a lot about 'leveling' the front end by cranking up the torsion bars.  Is this relatively easy to do and do i need any special tools?  

As far as tire brands, the wife really likes the aggressive look of the Duratrac (she drives truck 90% of the time) so I figured id just order another set unless there is something with similar tread but maybe last a bit longer?

Thanks!

There are many, many threads about this already, but I'll give you the short version...

275/65/18 are too small for a HD. You can fit a 275/70/18 or 285/65/18 without any changes. With a small level/lift, you can clear 295/70/18 or 285/75/18. These trucks are super simple to level. You can crank the factory torsion bars around 2", get the front end re-aligned, and you're good to go. Adding shock extensions will help. 

Thanks BW!
I asked my friend who owns the shop I would get the tires mounted at about cranking on the bars but he made it sound like it was a lot of work. Maybe he just didn’t want to do it. LOL.

If I go with the 295 you mentioned, I have to level the front but do I have to lift the rear as well?

Is there a specific brand of shock extenders that you would run?

Thx!
Frank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also. What load range do I need? I found these Duratracs in the 285 size. No idea if that’s a good price or not. But is it the right size/load?

c63d5d3a1e1a8141deb174ddd58dda56.jpg

19 hours ago, Anomaly said:

Thanks BW!
I asked my friend who owns the shop I would get the tires mounted at about cranking on the bars but he made it sound like it was a lot of work. Maybe he just didn’t want to do it. LOL.

If I go with the 295 you mentioned, I have to level the front but do I have to lift the rear as well?

Is there a specific brand of shock extenders that you would run?

Thx!
Frank

Yeah, your shop friend either doesn't know what he's talking about, or he just didn't want to do it. If he has a two post lift, it's seriously a 5 minute job (plus the alignment). If you go with a 295/70/18, you don't need to lift the rear. You might even clear in the front without having to level, but it'll be close. That will probably come down to the exact type/brand of tire you choose. And, regarding that choice, I think there are quite a few better options than Duratracs. For shock extensions, any reputable brand will be fine. Mine are Zone Offroad.  

19 hours ago, Anomaly said:

Also. What load range do I need? I found these Duratracs in the 285 size. No idea if that’s a good price or not. But is it the right size/load?

For a 2500HD, you'll want load range E. 

Thanks again BigWhiskey!
i have a two-post lift at home so maybe I could level the truck at home if it needs it. If I had tires mounted at shop but did leveling at home, would you align the truck after getting tires or after leveling?

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2019 at 10:29 AM, Anomaly said:

Thanks again BigWhiskey!
i have a two-post lift at home so maybe I could level the truck at home if it needs it. If I had tires mounted at shop but did leveling at home, would you align the truck after getting tires or after leveling?

It would be pointless to get an alignment before leveling, because that's what causes the need for an alignment in the first place, haha. Might as well just wait until the tires are on, and then set the height where you want it. Alignment would be the final step.