Morimoto D3S 5500K Bulb Issues

I'm on my 2nd set of Morimoto D3S XB HID Bulbs in the last 7 months. My headlights just go off without any warning or error message on my Cluster. Retrofit sent me a 2nd set and I installed them and 2 months later they are doing the same thing. My light control knob is set to AUTO and my Intellibean is activated. I have to shut the lights OFF by turning the light knob OFF and then ON again to get the lights to come back on.

• 2 weeks later...

Im having the same issue with my HID lights. I switched the OEM bulbs out for the same Morimoto D3S XB bulbs and after about two weeks they started doing the same thing. I also changed out the High beam lights for LED Morimoto 2Stroke 2.0 and no problems there. Did you by chance change out the reverse light bulb for anything? I switched them out for the CREE LED reverse lights which I noticed have also started to go in and out. I don't have a OBD reader to know if any of the lights are throwing any codes but we did take the car in for service and we didn't get any flags from the dealership. 

My thinking is the reverse lights are probably the culprits. I'm going to change them out for the stock bulbs to see if it makes a difference. I have a pair of 65K Morimoto's on my Audi and I have never had an issue with these. But I'll update the thread to see if anything changes. If you find a solution please share. 

Edited by Ebedolla

I put PHILIPS X-TREME ULTINON in the Reverse and Lic. Plate sockets but I highly doubt that is causing the issue with the HID' low beams. I am also running the LED Morimoto 2-Stroke 2.0 in the high-beams with no issues.

I'm about to swap the HID low-beam out again and go to the OEM OSRAN 5500K or the Philips 5500K bulbs.

According to GMC where I purchased my Denali, they have seen this issue before and told me that I need an anti-flicker module. I guess the BCM is not programmed to handle the after-market bulbs and the anti-flicker alleviates the problem.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

The problem ended up being the Morimoto D3S Bulbs were pulling twice the voltage from the BCM and the ballast than the stock OSRAM bulbs which caused the stock OSRAM ballasts to shut down. I ended up getting new OSRAM 6000K Cool Blue Advance. So far, so good and they match up nicely to the DRL's

Edited by bsprtsgrp