2018 Canyon Check Engine Light and Service Stabilitrak

cjerm22

Question

I bought a brand new 2018 Canyon this past April. At 7,200 miles on a cold weather start (The first cold day of the year) the service stabilitrak light, traction control light and check engine light came on (flashing). Engine was sputtering at idle. Put the truck in drive and drove a couple of feet and the engine light turned off. Shut the truck down and started it back up and everything was fine; all lights off.

I took it to the dealer and they got a P0300 random misfire code and after some diagnosis determined it could be caused by a faulty fuel injector which was replaced and all was well for 3 weeks/700 miles until last night the same issue occurred (All three lights) on a cold weather start after it had been sitting for 24hr. This time the sputtering was worse and the headlights were flickering. Drove it a couple of feet and the sputtering stopped. Shut the truck off, started it again and the service stabilitrak and traction control lights went off, however, this time the check engine light stayed on. Called OnStar on the way home and they scanned the code which resulted in a P0300 code again. The truck seems to be running fine since, but the light is still on. I should also note that while the truck is running, if I open the door and the dome lights come on they have a very slight flicker. If the engine is off and dome lights are on there is no noticeable flicker.

Had anybody else had a similar issue? Went to the dealer and they can’t get the truck in until Friday.

3 answers to this question

I had a similar situation on my new 2021 Chevy Colorado WT.  While parked and idling for 15 minutes, the truck died.  The fuel gauge zeroed out (though there was 3/4 tank), the check engine light came on and stayed on, along with traction control light.  The truck went into “limp home” mode and stayed that way until I reset the faults with a code reader.  It threw a bunch of codes (P0700, U0073, U0101, U0106, U0146, P30BD, U18D5) and resisted starting or key removal for a minute.  This happened 3 separate times over a couple of weeks, only when parked (in hot weather) and idling for 15 minutes  or so, but would clear up  and run fine when codes were cleared.  I think it’s resolved now, but was a head scratcher for a while.  Turns out the battery cables (or posts) had some sort of “factory residue” preventing full contact.  I cleaned them both and problem stopped.  The intermittent dips in voltage apparently weren’t an issue while rolling, but the parked idling in hot weather taxed the electrical system enough to freak out the ECM/TCM/PCM and throw all the codes.  I noticed that the battery voltage display now consistently reads alternator voltage of 14.2v +/-, where it used to sometimes intermittently drop to 12.7 while on the road.  I didn’t make the connection until it choked.

I've got a 2018 Colorado LT V6. Started after I changed my battery. Now the engine misses badly, check engine light on for code 171 lean on bank 1 and this can be mistaken for a misfire. It starts off with the misfire and then my Stabilitrak and traction control light come on along with the check engine light. Just tried to go somewhere to see if driving it would help it was missing worse than it was and the check engine light started flashing along with the stabilitrack and traction control lights on. I recently bought a Launch CRP919. Waiting for it to show up. Going to reset BSM and see what happens.