2007 Suburban, 5.3L - 4L60-E, engine locked up

2 minutes ago, rhunley said:

Steve, The trans was rebuilt by the previous owner but the bill says they put a new converter on it.....Before I put the motor back in, I sat there and spun the converter multiple times and it was very smooth. When it was fully seated it slightly scraped the bell housing. This weekend I'll get out there and use the advice from "D" above just to satisfy my brain.. But, what I keep coming back to is what happened in the first place? I really appreciate everyone pitching in their advice and knowledge.

I'm trying to figure out a way to explain this without writing a book. Sometimes what happens is when you pull the converter forward to bolt to the flywheel it actually pulls the converter hub almost out of the pump. The engine torque is enough to spin them to miss align. We use to have to shim the converter off the flywheel to get them to work. Like I said this was a case by case basis. Till we figured it out we had a few come back.

• 2 months later...

To everyone that replied to this post. I took the tranny to a shop here in Murfreesboro TN. and was told that it had the wrong bellhousing on it. So, when it gets bolted up to the engine it was already in a bind. It eventually broke the pump and the converter locked against the back of the bellhousing. Plus most of the work that the previous tranny shop billled for wasn't actually done. But, they did happen to put the wrong bellhousing back on the tranny. Expensive project as the result of someones careless mistake! Thanks to all that provided input.