Brake light flashing codes?

I recently acquired my next fixer-upper, a 1993 3/4 ton 4x4. The previous owner stated that the brake light comes on intermittently and that he's had it checked out and nothing is wrong. However, today it came on for the first time and it was flashing.

Here is the sequence (the same every time):

1) Brake light comes on steady (~1 second)

2) It flashes 8 times (quicker timed flashes)

3) Repeats steps 1 and 2

I thought it might be a bad sensor or loose cable until it started flashing in sequence.

Anybody have any ideas? I'm stumped.

Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

PS - The brake is not on......

• 5 years later...
I recently acquired my next fixer-upper, a 1993 3/4 ton 4x4. The previous owner stated that the brake light comes on intermittently and that he's had it checked out and nothing is wrong. However, today it came on for the first time and it was flashing.

3) Repeats steps 1 and 2

I thought it might be a bad sensor or loose cable until it started flashing in sequence.

same problem here

I am assuming that your talking about the lights in the dash...trouble lights.

This usually indicates there is a problem with your braking system. The reason it is flashing than staying on and repeating is because it is doing a scan of the system, when it finds a problem it sets a code and the light blinks rapidly. I don't know if the sequence or number of flashes mean anything, but the whole deal means you have a problem. If you take it to someone with a good scan tool, or the dreaded dealership, they can read the code set by the ABS computer.

In the end...contact cleaner on your systems electrical plugs and coat the contacts with di-electric grease may be all thats needed. Find your ABS computer also and do the same to its connections....it may have 16years of corrosion and condensation built up.

If there is a problem with the ABS, The computer will disable the system and you will have good old fashioned power breaks...that you have to pump yourself if you get into a dicey situation.

I am assuming that your talking about the lights in the dash...trouble lights.

This usually indicates there is a problem with your braking system. The reason it is flashing than staying on and repeating is because it is doing a scan of the system, when it finds a problem it sets a code and the light blinks rapidly. I don't know if the sequence or number of flashes mean anything, but the whole deal means you have a problem. If you take it to someone with a good scan tool, or the dreaded dealership, they can read the code set by the ABS computer.

In the end...contact cleaner on your systems electrical plugs and coat the contacts with di-electric grease may be all thats needed. Find your ABS computer also and do the same to its connections....it may have 16years of corrosion and condensation built up.

If there is a problem with the ABS, The computer will disable the system and you will have good old fashioned power breaks...that you have to pump yourself if you get into a dicey situation.

there has to be a plug somewhere that you can use a jumper wire on and read the flash code and then look up the code from a list

ell usually

3) Repeats steps 1 and 2

I think 9 flashes mean an open circuit in the ABS part of your brakes.

Check around the rear hubs for a broken wire.

Also check the ABS box by the master cylinder for a loose/broken/unplugged wire.

Archived