2016 gmc canyon spark plugs replacement

Ophsblader

Question

I am trying to change the spark plugs in my 2016 canyon. It has the 3.6L vvt direct injection v6. I am not the most mechanically inclined, but I'm also not an idiot. I'm trying to find a step by step for removing the large black housing the throttle body is connected to. It's the only way you can remove the coil packs from the engine. I want to know what I'm getting into before I start taking all kinda of thing apart. 

15854071259401320192645513289429.jpg

Edited by Ophsblader

4 answers to this question

That is not a job for the beginner or someone who is just  mechanically inclined. I just had to do a left valve cover and lifters and camshafts on one 2 weeks ago. The cowl and wiper transmission and the tray it sits in all has to be removed to gain access to the intake manifold bolts.That truck is absolutely miserable to work on. Wait till you try and replace the starter. We are a GMC- Buick dealer and we all hate them when they come in.

3 minutes ago, mjm-1957 said:

That is not a job for the beginner or someone who is just  mechanically inclined. I just had to do a left valve cover and lifters and camshafts on one 2 weeks ago. The cowl and wiper transmission and the tray it sits in all has to be removed to gain access to the intake manifold bolts.That truck is absolutely miserable to work on. Wait till you try and replace the starter. We are a GMC- Buick dealer and we all hate them when they come in.

It is ridiculous how they make the simplest thing so complicated now days. They do it just so the working class can't do the routine maintenance on their own.  So what exactly is that black housing?? Just so that I know from now on. This is the first truck I've owned and was really looking forward to working on it myself but I guess that's not an option now days. 

11 minutes ago, mjm-1957 said:

That is the intake manifold.Why do you want to replace the plugs? They are supposed to need replacement at just about 100,000 miles.

Mainly doing it for the hell of it. Just bought the truck 3 weeks ago and was just trying to kind of tinker with it. The plugs weren't bad but I wanted to put new ones in. Taking apart a intake manifold is definitely biting off more than I want to chew so I guess 4 out of 6 plugs will have to do. 

Edited by Ophsblader