DIY Oilchange and Other Questions 1990 GMC C6500 C7

I've recently bought a 1990 GMC C6500 C7 with a 1968 moving truck box.  It's for storage and hobby usage.

It's only got 146k miles on it, but the oil hasn't been changed in many years.  I can't find a truck mechanic to work on it, since it's a gas engine, but it mostly runs great. 

Questions:

1.  What model oil filter does it need?

2.  What kind of oil does it need?  How much?

3.  What other routine maintenance might a truck like this need and what should I be checking for?

4.  According to the placard this truck just barely exceeds the gross weight requiring a CDL, but many similar models don't need one.  I only need to move it a few times a year.  What's the real law enforcement risk, if I get caught without a CDL?  Are they even going to check the gross weight rating on an ordinary traffic stop?  Any idea what the cheapest insurance I could get would be?

20200405_123557.jpg

As noted above.... 

For a 1990 7.4L gas engine in a 3500, PH5 filter and 8 qts of oil. You would still need to verify

I'd probably run a 15w-40 at the minimum at first. Depending on how beat it is, you may need to go to a 20w-50.

Any heavy truck shop in your area can help with this vehicle. These trucks were and still are workhorses in many areas.

Your registration will determine whether it requires a CDL in your state.

I would check everything over. Especially brakes, suspension and steering

Edited by txab
  • Like 1