Plastic Tailgate Cover Delete

So after dropping a 16” block of wood and cracking the cover (which is about $300US for just the bigger piece itself) I decided to make improvements to this multi amateur tailgate. 

Ideally I wanted to use 3/16” thick aluminum but I came across some 1/4” for almost free. If I was to have to buy material I would use 3/16“. 

I started by removing the covers and used them as a rough template to get my basic shape. I then removed all the plastic clips that hold the harness as they sit too high for the sheet to sit flat. 

After cutting my template I got the holes marked and drilled and used the factory hardware to secure it. 

All that’s left now is to finish the edges and smooth out the corners and then send it off to get sprayed with box liner. 

7094DCB6-4144-4977-A9B7-801578D1AAAD.jpeg

3E53DFBA-515B-4220-B97B-E30970DFCC0F.jpeg

365839CB-EA4C-4FFD-AACE-DEDD2672F5F5.jpeg

D0308C8F-BBD0-4955-BC87-7BEE766046B7.jpeg

3FBAAA41-1778-4199-939C-A2D325A90832.jpeg

Edited by L8T

Interesting. Thanks for the write up. I was thinking tread plate would be ideal but if its being sprayed it shouldn't matter too much. I understand not wanting to pass up free material.

Are you having both sides sprayed or just the outward face?

Are you concerned at all about the dissimilar metals causing corrosion?

Lastly, how did you secure the harness once you removed the factory clips?

On 1/28/2021 at 8:06 AM, sdelam said:

Interesting. Thanks for the write up. I was thinking tread plate would be ideal but if its being sprayed it shouldn't matter too much. I understand not wanting to pass up free material.

Are you having both sides sprayed or just the outward face?

Are you concerned at all about the dissimilar metals causing corrosion?

Lastly, how did you secure the harness once you removed the factory clips?

I’m going to spray the whole thing. Aluminum oxidizes and I don’t want that spreading everywhere. That said I’m not worried about corrosion hurting the truck. If I lived on the coast or in a major city where there’s more salt and acid in the air I might be a little more concerned but I haven’t had an issue with any aluminum in my vehicles to date. 

I’m just going to leave the harness sitting where it was but without the clips. It shouldn’t go anywhere and not really worried about pinching it so long as the hardware holds the plate tight. If it does pinch or rub at least I’ll no where to look lol. 

• Like 1