Adding fuse tap

I am installing an LED light to add to my Western Snow plow. I am looking for a connection point under the hood, that is switchable [on and off with ignition ] I see a few Not Used locations in fuse block, are they active,, or just blank sockets,, I would like to use these fuse taps,and if I can , just put one in a not used socket,,,,, but,, is there power or tabs in them to grab the fuse holder ?  There are 3 fuse locations, under the hood, and both right and left side in cab,,, if any spot, that says "not used" on panel cover, can it be used, or is it just a blank, useless socket ?

Micro Fuse taps.jpg

I did the same on the driver's side fuse panel using an unused location to power my floor lights.

in the panel I found a few unused fuse locations which had no contacts in them, so there was no power. in the middle of the block however there were 3 fuses, only 1 actually used, but the others did have b+ contacts in them so in that case it worked. so for the underhood, it could be either. look into the unused sockets, if you see metal contacts in there then the socket has power and can be used.

one thing to note though, in that case if its factory-unused chances are you may have the b+ rail on one side but no contact at all on the other side. this is fine, but it means that that the tap will not stay as solidly in place as usual as its only clipped in on one side. I didn't find this to be a problem, just pointing it out.

also make sure you get micro taps and not mini, in the image above it looks like the fuses are micro but the taps look more like mini to me. just double check that in the listing.

Thanks for the reply,,, yes I got the micro jumper taps,,,, these are really set up so you can remove a current fuse, that is in use,, as you can see, the jumper holds 2 fuses,, one to keep the original circuit, and one for the added circuit,,, that is all fine and dandy,,,,but I would like to not disturb the original,,, so if there is a working slot,,,, why not use that,, ??  I will look closely at all 3 fuse panel locations,, to see what I can find,,, Thanks again,,,

Micro Fuse taps.jpg

• 2 years later...

I just ordered the same taps above, I want to put one in the fuse box under the hood, next to the battery. 

I'm wondering: how are you guys running the wire from these taps out of the box? Seems like the lip of the box makes a pretty good seal all the way around.