2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 5.3 final drive question

Hey everyone,

New to this forum and have come here for some insight. I have a 2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 5.3L with 3.08 gear ratio and 265/70R17 tires. I live in Maine and do a lot of towing with a 4500 pound trailer. The state has lots of hills/mountains and I find my Sierra constantly downshifting/hunting for gears on the highway. I'd like to change my gears out to 3.73's or 4.10's. Right now with the 3.08 traveling at 80Mph I am at around 1850RPM. If I go with 4.10 gears and keep the stock tire size what RPM will I be running at 80Mph? Would 4.10's be too much, or should I go with 3.73 gears? Not looking to go with larger tires.

Thanks,
Josh

Use an rpm calculator.

The 6th gear ratio for a 6L80e is .66 if I remember right. At 80mph with the stock tires it would be ~2160rpm with 3.73's.

https://purperformance.com/p-29669-rpm-calculator.html

I would stick with 3.73's with the 6 speed auto. New gears and then tune it and you'd be all set.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 8:50 PM, CamGTP said:

Use an rpm calculator.

The 6th gear ratio for a 6L80e is .66 if I remember right. At 80mph with the stock tires it would be ~2160rpm with 3.73's.

https://purperformance.com/p-29669-rpm-calculator.html

I would stick with 3.73's with the 6 speed auto. New gears and then tune it and you'd be all set.

Which would be pretty much the same thing as him just leaving his trans in m5.

On 10/23/2021 at 7:24 PM, CamGTP said:

I'd still want gears.

Anything he listed would be better for towing. Getting up to speed and cruising speed. If he plans to keep the truck a long time it would be worth it.

It really just helps with first gear imo

i mean he’ll just shift to second gear sooner with gears