Hot fuel module

I was having an issue with my 1992 P30 454 TBI based motorhome starting after sitting for a few months.  In the end it turned out to be the hot fuel module that primes the system if it's vapor locked.  I park my MH in my driveway with the fuel tank a bit lower than the front end.  The problem turned out to be no prime function due to a burnt up hot fuel module.  After looking for a replacement, I found that there was no replacement on the market.  This caused me to begin a project that would help me and any others looking for this module.

I started out thinking that I could reproduce the OEM module but discovered that the OEM module had an inherent design flaw that caused them to fry a transistor internally.  I decided to redesign the module using more up to date components.  This is what I ended up with:

E1h008.png

I ended up producing the board using a microcontroller to set the timing and an automotive grade relay to switch voltage to the fuel pump.  A Schottky diode in line to prevent reverse voltageThe result was a module that plugged directly into the original housing that had less voltage loss to the fuel pump and allowed for multiple delay times.  O also added an LED indicator to let you know when it was active.  It's been in use now for several months in my motorhome and those of several others that have replaced their OEM units with mine.

I had a number of PCBs produced and have enough components to produce about 10 more units.  I even sourced out the connector and developed a board that I could put in my own housing in case someone didn't have their original housing, or their housing was not in usable condition.

Just curious if there is any need for this module in the general GM community. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Hot fuel module is still available.  I have two variations.  One is a simple drop-in replacement of the original board but with a newer design.  The other is a plug-in replacement for those that don't have the original housing.

Edit: Brian has just purchased one of the replacement boards and reports good results.  I'll let him talk about his experience though.

Update: Julius has put together a great product. The 12 second timer is perfect, but you can set it to 20 seconds if like the original timing. If you have the old housing all you have to do is pull the old board out and slide the new one in. It was easy to swap out boards (took 15 seconds) and the vehicle started right up. The LED is a nice touch to see when it kicks off while testing things out. They don't make hot fuel modules for our vehicles anymore so this is an amazing and much improved replacement. If you are having hot fuel module problems, I encourage you to get one of his. I am so glad I came across this option. Good work!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/1/2022 at 3:43 AM, 92LandYacht said:

Yes, I do have them still.  The item I've produced is the board that goes into the original housing.  I'm selling them at close to cost at $50 shipped to continental USA.

Hello I’m super glad to have found this forum I’ve been going crazy looking for a replacement fuel module.  I even got scammed by a fraudulent website. I am very interested in purchasing one of your drop in replacement boards as I have the black housing still. Can you send me info on how to purchase one from you? My email is: 

[email protected]

thanks

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Do you still have control boards available? Mine still seems to be functional. However, when I took the dash down to repair mouse damage in the old farm truck I noticed the module gets very warm while the engine is running. Thinking I should replace or have one on hand. Part number 10052973 on a 1989 7.4 liter