What is Dex-Cool compatible?

Well, I went to the GM dealer yesterday to buy a gallon of Dex-Cool to keep around and use to top off the overflow. I think someone here said to keep it above the normal fill lines on the overflow bottle. So I picked up the gallon, went to pay, and the lady said it was $22!!! Ouch! Still in shock, I bought it anyway. (Although, I think its going back.)

What can I use as a substitute. I see Prestone makes their extended life stuff that is compatible with Dex-Cool and I also saw Havoline is compatible.

Any pro recommendations? Anything to stay away from?

I don't think there would be a difference vs. using the GM stuff. But, I just want to make sure.

Thanks.

I use the prestone gm-dexcool approved stuff - it even comes pre-mixed with water if you don't want to mix it yourself...then you can just pour it straight into the tank. It under $8 bucks at walmart when I bought it a few weeks ago.

Gosh, just go to Wal-Mart. Last time I checked, Dexcool was half that price. I'm sure other resellers are equally cheap. Don't ever go by the dealer to get items like this. They really pad the price.

Peak Global, it's compatible with any automotive coolant on the market. Buy a gallon of that for $9 and you don't have to keep different types of coolant on the shelf for all of your vehicles. You can use it to top off any exisiting coolant as well as for complete flushes. I work at a collision shop and we used to stock coolant for all the manufacturers. It got to be really expensive plus a hassle to keep track of what cars used what coolant. Now we just have one type on the shelf.

Havoline is real Dex-cool. I would buy that.

I know someone that owns a company that rebuilds those old Cadillac 4.9L pushrod V8's. These are weird wet-sleeve engines with an aluminum block and iron heads, backwards from the norm. These engines had major combustion chamber leakage problems due to corrosion and such. Anyway, he said they will ONLY use genuine Dex-cool, NOT Prestone's Dex-cool compatible stuff because it doesn't have as good anti-corrosion properties as real Dex-cool.

Anyway, I personally would avoid the Prestone stuff. Not to mention, I used to run Prestone green coolant in my car and the head gaskets corroded from the inside out despite having changed the coolant annually.

Archived