Brake controller ?

Heya, i replaced my trailers brake plates, electric, and now they show as working on the display in the 2016 2500, but the brakes won't lock up even at 10 setting, which they used to. Jacking the sides of the trailer, the brakes will work when pinching the brake controller but not when hitting the pedal brake. Changed the 30 amp fuse, no difference. Could it be the module where the spare is ? Thanks for any help. M

10 minutes ago, GrandPuisance14 said:

Heya, i replaced my trailers brake plates, electric, and now they show as working on the display in the 2016 2500, but the brakes won't lock up even at 10 setting, which they used to. Jacking the sides of the trailer, the brakes will work when pinching the brake controller but not when hitting the pedal brake. Changed the 30 amp fuse, no difference. Could it be the module where the spare is ? Thanks for any help. M

Are you getting any "service trailer brake" message on the dash?  

4 hours ago, newdude said:

Are you getting any "service trailer brake" message on the dash?  

No codes on dash , no. Shows the brake level of output to trailer on the dash, like a percentage of gain. I used to be able to lockem up when I had it turned up, single axle 1960 airstream so shes lite.

6 hours ago, GrandPuisance14 said:

No codes on dash , no. Shows the brake level of output to trailer on the dash, like a percentage of gain. I used to be able to lockem up when I had it turned up, single axle 1960 airstream so shes lite.

So sounds like the Integrated Trailer Brake system is working on the truck side correctly.  

I'd look at the trailer side, make sure everything is hooked up.  

Do you have another trailer you can hook and test the brakes with?

14 hours ago, newdude said:

So sounds like the Integrated Trailer Brake system is working on the truck side correctly.  

I'd look at the trailer side, make sure everything is hooked up.  

Do you have another trailer you can hook and test the brakes with?

No, unfortunately.  When I hooked up the new brakes I left a bit of the old brake wire to hook up the new brakes to give me a little more wire, maybe too many connections? I also hooked up a cap to the brake lights last year, maybe ? Thanks for this

23 hours ago, GrandPuisance14 said:

No, unfortunately.  When I hooked up the new brakes I left a bit of the old brake wire to hook up the new brakes to give me a little more wire, maybe too many connections? I also hooked up a cap to the brake lights last year, maybe ? Thanks for this

I don't think the cap would cause it, unless it was tied into the brake lamp circuit for the 7 way?  But even then, not sure it would cause.  

On 11/21/2022 at 7:18 AM, newdude said:

I don't think the cap would cause it, unless it was tied into the brake lamp circuit for the 7 way?  But even then, not sure it would cause.  

Only would be problem if it was tied to the trailer brake output in the harness - I doubt it.

I adjust the brake shoes on my trailers to a moderate drag. (Light drag being turns with no or little restriction and hearing a slight noise when spinning, heavy being hard to spin by hand. Moderate can be spun but definite contact and noise. I like it this way to make sure my shoes get a good bedding to the drum and strong sense of engagement when in use.) As long as you aren't getting any errors, I'd start with adjusting the shoes.

3 hours ago, asilverblazer said:

Only would be problem if it was tied to the trailer brake output in the harness - I doubt it.

I adjust the brake shoes on my trailers to a moderate drag. (Light drag being turns with no or little restriction and hearing a slight noise when spinning, heavy being hard to spin by hand. Moderate can be spun but definite contact and noise. I like it this way to make sure my shoes get a good bedding to the drum and strong sense of engagement when in use.) As long as you aren't getting any errors, I'd start with adjusting the shoes.

Thanks, I like that suggestion, once i get the electrical thing figured, I will do. BTW they are self adjusting, but the threaded bolt on the bottom is how we adjust them right ?