Volkswagen to build cornbinders

garagerog

Just saw on the business news today that Volkswagen is going to build a new 2 billion dollar plant here in SC to build an off-road EV and p/u under the Scout name. Was news to me but apparently Volkswagen bought Navistar in 2021 and thereby acquired the rights to the Scout and Travelall names. Couldn't find anything recent on GM's and Navistar's collaboration on medium-duty trucks. Anyone know if that's still ongoing?

Yes Volkswagen owns 100% of Navistar.  They had a small (17%) stake in Navistar earlier but bought them outright in July 2021.

Also Volkswagen used to have a division called VW Truck and Bus, which they sold to MAN (but kept the car division), but then VW ended up buying MAN so they got Truck and Bus back.  Then they renamed that division TRATON, and that is the subsidiary that bought Navistar.  And the Navistar division that makes trucks is called International.

Confused yet? .... 🤪

And yes, GM and International still have the joint venture that produces trucks.  GM calls them 4500HD/5500HD/6500HD "medium duty" trucks while International calls them CV "light duty" trucks.  The rolling chassis are made by International while the cabs are made by GM.  They all go down the same line then the International trucks get an International-tweaked version of the Duramax engine while the GM trucks get the GM version.

I'm not sure where the new Scout brand will fit in.  I'm guessing it will be under VW cars (not TRATON) so shouldn't affect the trucks, but obviously would still compete with GM SUVs.  But maybe VW will a similar agreement with GM where they use the Ultium battery and chassis??