Westers GP - You just got it, what ya' think?

I placed my order on 2/16. 3/2 out of fuel, filled up with Chevron 91 instead of the usual 87 anticipating the Westers arrival. 3/4 it arrived. 3/6 it was installed. It started up just fine, no shaking or rough idle. I forgot to look at the tach, but the idle seem to be a little faster/louder. I let it idle for around 10-15 minutes while I changed out the cabin air filters. Taking it out on the street the first time the shifts seemed to be a little clumsy through the gears. Ah a stop light, stomped on it but quickly backed off engine knock. Next stop light, launched like before the Westers and TQM on, partial throttle ever increasing through the gears. Seem to be no difference as when stock, got disappointed. Drove around the first time for about 50 miles. Still each time going into passing gear there would be engine knock. Next day still disappointed just drove around doing errands for about 25 miles conservately no stomping whatsoever. Monday 3/8 going to work tranny seemed to be shifting decisively. Stomped on it, no engine knock. SOP same distance (about 300+ feet) from stop before Westers was about 40MPH, this time it looked about 45MPH. Still kinda disappointed drove the rest of the way into work conservately. After getting to work I decided the since the engine was running smooth and didn't knock when I last stomped on it, that I would send in my stock PCM for core and run the Westers for the remainder of the 30 days. That days drive home I was still driving conservative till about half way home (about 95 miles since install) I started to stomp on it...well this was different...the truck was pulling hard through all the gears. Where there was a little room and no cops in sight, the rest of the drive home I stomping on it...by now I'm no longer disappointed, but still just okay with purchase and probably wouldn't return it after the 30 days. Tuesday 3/9 going into work again at the same morning light as usual then its clear my right away I then take off hard and by the time it's through third and the usual landmark goes by when I normally look at the speedometer.....50MPH+....that's from an everyday past of 40MPH+. Okay another stop light opportunity, an X5 pulls along side I ignore but as the opposite left turn goes yellow (we have lagging left turns in Tucson) the X5 geek starts holding a rev up to launch, the goes green, from brake to gas (no rev up) I'm off and the X5 is whining away, by the time I'm at 50MPH In the mirror is the X5 about 4 car lengths behind. Now I'm very happy, it could have been a bad X5 driver cause before I could only stay with an X5 and would be slipping behind in the distance. Long 12 hour day goes by at work, drive home I'm just cruising home wanting just to go to bed. Half way home I'm at light and a 350Z pulls up with the usual geeky daddy's money "boy" revving and trying to get my attention, I just roll the windows up. At green we take off up to 40 we stay door to door and I'm guessing he hits 3rd and gone about 10 car lengths and waiting at the next light, as I was pulling up next to him, he flashed out a thumbs up. We didn't start again just cruised for another light and went separate ways.

I'm now very happy with the Westers purchase. I don't have any more throttle bogging (TQM) out of turns. It's a different behaving truck. I'm not sure of MPG due to all the stomping around, but the fuel doesn't seem to be going that much faster then before with just an occasional stomp per tank. Top end behavior I'll find out next week when I take a 200 mile freeway trip.

This is exactly how I asked for my tune:

87/91 Dual Tune

Daily Driver - at least once a month 300+ mile freeway road trip 75MPH+ slight hills summer heat 105F+

Engine Stock LM7 5.3L no factory EGR

Automatic Transmission Stock 4L60E - modify from stock to firm shift similar to a stock Vette or Trans Am

Air Intake - True Flow Air intake tube, Stock air box, cell foam filter

Rear Gear 3.73 G80 Limited Slip

Tires 285/60-17 773.68mm 30.46" - modify from stock 265/70-16 749.3mm 29.50"

Torque Management - defeat or reduce where safe

Speed Limiter - modify to 130MPH

No current pinging

No current Check engine codes

Yes I went a bit conservative, but it's my daily driver so it has to stay on the reliable side. Too bad overall prices for fuel is going up, but I'll stay at 91 for a while (I think I can do with at least 1 less meal a week, beside that way it'll lighten the big load that's behind the wheel).

My I rambled on

:confused:

I'm still fiending !!!!!!!!!! fed-ex guys pulls up night before last while my wife and I are standing on the drive way. Stops DIRECTLY in front of my house. I start jumping up and down like a little boy at Christmas- "it's here !!!! it's here !!!!!"

Bastid walks across the street :chevy::sleep::chevy: !!!!

I got mine. My truck turned over 285/75's like no other. I love it. The only I have have is a k&n air filter and flowmaster exhaust and westers tune. Truck is a beast compared to before the installed PCM. Go Westers!! :confused:

...Truck is a beast compared to before the installed PCM. Go Westers!! :confused:

Awesome! Anxiously awaiting on mine.

I'm assuming your Z71 has a 5.3???? Youse guyz are cruel with the glowing reports and NOT listing the size of your motors. :sleep:

:confused:

I'm still fiending !!!!!!!!!! fed-ex guys pulls up night before last while my wife and I are standing on the drive way. Stops DIRECTLY in front of my house. I start jumping up and down like a little boy at Christmas- "it's here !!!! it's here !!!!!"

Bastid walks across the street :chevy::sleep::chevy: !!!!

LOL!

Actually its big brown you need to watch for. Lyndon ships UPS 3 day Priority!

But maybe Tbyrne shipped his batch Fed Exp?

"Good things come to those that wait."

Butch 02 Sierra Denali

Ok, so I wasn't part of the group purchase, but I did get a Wester's tuned PCM recently. I've had it for about a month now and there is no way I'd get rid of it! I was a *bit* disappointed at first, but I'd read enough posts saying that it would take a little time for the truck to "learn" that I wasn't too worried. At around 100 miles w/ the new PCM, boy did it start coming alive! The reduced TQM and firmer shifts could be felt much more than before! I never experienced any pinging, but we did have different tunes / fuels. I ordered the 93 octane 'hot' tune and already had a tank full of 93!

For those of you still waiting, I feel your pain!!! LOL, I was so happy when I finaly got mine in! Anyway, I think you'll love it ... money well spent, imho! :confused:

Ok, mine just arrived! Just opened the box. Battery cable wrench in hand, out the door I go. Fingers crossed. Have to do a lot of stop and go driving this weekend, so that should be perfect to help it learn.

EDIT: Spent only 45 minutes driving around. Sheesh, this 5.3 motor is totally awake now. Low-end partial throttle acceleration is simply amazing. I barely press the accelerator and the truck zips away. This alone might increase gasoline mileage since my daily commute to work is under 40 MPH average.

Simulating passing someone at about 50 miles per hour was simply a scream. This is NOT the same motor. I honestly do not have to floor the accelerator to do a non-obnoxious, non-rude pass of someone.

I am so glad that I don't have a teenaged son, because I have a feeling the rear tires on this truck would be gone in a week. Everything is improved... WOT is a hoot. Shifting is actually smoother.

The only negative is that I am getting some light pinging, but from reading messages here I think this will clear up. I got the dual tune for 87-91. I filled up a couple of days ago with 91.

It is only going to get interesting as I continue driving...

well, here ya go......got up this morning and decided to pop this baby in. The install was rather easy aside from the fact i dont have a lot of room in there with that RAT motor. It took me about 25 minutes from start to end. by the way...7mm is correct Butch. Keep in mind that from the day i rescued my truck from the dealer i have NEVER put anything less than 93 octane in her, and the majority of the time i put Sunoco 94. Started it up and it ran nice and smooth, no knocks, no pings, nothing except i had to reset my "oil life" on the DIC, which i dont understand. Anyway, i let it warm up for a minute and took it to the road.........................

Almost immediately i noticed better throttle response, but i live on a 25mph road so i had to restrain myself for a few minutes till i got out on the main road. I pulled out and punched it. Now i was definately feeling a difference, it ran right up through the gears and i was at 75mpg on a 40mph road in the matter of seconds. The biggest difference so far that i can tell is the bottom end, touching the throttle anywhere between 10 and 20mpg and your driving from the back seat. I was a little worried at first because this truck makes a whole lot of power to begin with and i was skepticle that i would be able to feel a difference but i definately did. I only had it out for about 30 minutes but i will do some 0-60 times later to see what i am doing.

I didnt notice any of the problems that others noticed like idle speeds being incorrect, or knocking and pinging, or SES lights being on. If this thing keeps getting better as time goes on, im in for some fun.

So theres my initial review, i will update my findings throughout the next few days. I am pretty confident that i will not be sending for my money back.

I wouldn't steer you wrong Linda! I knew you'd be as pleased with the performance boost as I was! I've been recommending Wester's tunes for almost a year now, long before most everyone had even heard of Wester's. At least now most everone understands why I've been raving about this mod!

Just wait till it gets some miles on it, it will keep getting better and better.

Glad you and everyone else is as happy as I am with mine!

Butch 02 Sierra Denali

I'll agree with butch it gets better with the more miles you put on. I have about 350 miles and it still is getting better. I've even noticed the fuel milage is creeping up also don't really know why maybe cause i use less throttle to cruise? Anyway i pulled our trailer with the suburban on it and noticed a little pinging at first but after 30 miles that went away and the hill that always killed my other trucks had little effect with this upgrade on it. I noticed that the 6.0 seems like a pretty good puller stock but with the westers and in tow/haul mode man o man what a difference. I'm glad i didn't wait for later in the summer to get this. I've gotten a lot of comments about the difference in power from guys that have driven my truck. Some have other chips and are surprised at the power change from this pcm.

Have had mine in for 230 miles now. Like Linda, I had to reset my "Oil Life" clock. Mine seemed to start off being a real dog, but by 50 miles, it was a different truck! Lyndon seemed to get it perfect for what I was after. Throttle response is instant at all speeds and shifts are just a touch firmer. Can't say enough good things about it. ONLY complaint is waiting in line 30 minutes at the Post Office to send the Core back! Small price to pay...

'03 K2500 8.1L Suburban

Archived