Anyone from Durham or Greensboro?

MadFish

I might be moving to Durham, NC. I might have found a job at Crossroads European.

But, whats it like out there? Cost of living and everything?

If I move there I'l be getting a apartment. can anybody recommend any places to look? any places to stay away from?

I'ld be around I-40 and 54hwy and 55hwy. The shop is about a mile south of I-40 on 55hwy.

There's also a dealership in Greensboro Im talking to. What about that city, as well?

I'll take anything you guys can tell me. I'ld like to know as much as possible, if I get the job and make the move out that way.

Sounds like you are just right on the edge of RTP. If you live towards Cary/Apex, the morning commute will be a pain due to the RTP traffic. There are a few apt. complexes close to that area so you don't have to drive far. That area of Durham is ok. Just don't move too close to Southpoint Mall. I'm a few miles down the road in Cary. Right now, apartment prices in the area is not too bad. You could do a cost of living comparison to where you are now using the Coldwell Banker site.

I live near Durham in the quaint college town of Chapel Hell...I mean Hill. Durham has its good side and its bad side. There are plenty of places to eat and shop. Downtown Durham is a bitch to drive in (lots of one ways) if you are not used to it. There isn't much of a reason to go to downtown Durham anyway. Apartments are a dime a dozen here simply because there are too d**n many. You will have to deal with Time Warner Cable for cable TV or internet, and that SUCKS, but there isn't much you can do about it. Commuting on 15-501 and 40 is a pain at times and slow, but you get used to it. There is a Wal Mart in some place called New Hope Commons on the edge of Durham near Chapel Hill. DON'T go to the K-Mart...it is a warzone. The Super Target sucks, don't even waste your time there unless you like stores that have 10 isles of baby stuff. There are several well stocked car parts stores, but most of the time the counterpeople don't have a clue. Car Quests are the best ones to go to. There is the Durham Bulls ball park...I would get bored as hell if I just watched the game, and nobody there does. They just do lots of gimmicks and there is lots of food. I only go if I get a ticket for free, then I can gorge myself on junk food. Durham isn't that bad, it's better than Chapel Hell.

I don't know much about the Triad (Greensboro area), but living doesn't seem to be too expensive there.

Sounds like you are just right on the edge of RTP.  If you live towards Cary/Apex, the morning commute will be a pain due to the RTP traffic.  There are a few apt. complexes close to that area so you don't have to drive far.  That area of Durham is ok.  Just don't move too close to Southpoint Mall.  I'm a few miles down the road in Cary.  Right now, apartment prices in the area is not too bad.  You could do a cost of living comparison to where you are now using the Coldwell Banker site.

Oh yeah, forgot Southpoint. That place SUCKS. It is an upscale "trendy" or "chic" mall where people with lots of money, no brains and no driving skills shop. There is a good chain pizza place there, but other than that, it's more trouble than it's worth to go there more than once. Besides, another mall has that same pizza place near the airport and it is a much better mall.

If you want a good place to go...Hillsborough. Ray Motor Ford usually has some cool older truck on the lot (now a 1978 F-100) and a big Wal Mart. On any Saturday afternoon the entire population of the town is there. If you have lived in Hillsborough, you will see at least 10 people there that you know. There is a good KFC there too. On two occasions I have gotten 7 chicken tenders when I ordered 6...so I like that place. Just make sure that when in Hillsborough you don't wander into someone's marijuana field, you might get shot at.

Oh, and for radio, 106.1 RDU and 92.3 are great. They are about all that's worth listening to around here.

Archived