water pump

Hi there,i have a 97 chevy tahoe with a squeak under the hood.I looked at the water pump and it's all rusty,that's where the noise is coming from.I just put a knew belt on so i know thats not the problem,how do i check the pump. THANKS

I just replaced the idler pulley and the AC compressor.The noise only happens when i first start the truck,the squeak only last for 5 minuts or so and than it's gone.I'll take a listen to the alternator and see if if comming from there. THANKS

On that engine,it should be cake.Remove the serpentine belt and I believe the pump is held on by 4 bolts (if memeory serves me correctly),seat the new gaskets and bolt the new one on.

I'm pretty sure it'll be much like my '93 C1500 when i changed it out and if so,it'll only take about an hour to do it all.

Frank, you are right the bearing could cause noise.

Water pump install on a vortec is a little different than a TBI engine

1. As always remove the neg. cable from the battery

2. First remove the upper fan shroud

3. Remove the fan from water pump shaft (this requires a special tool, and no matter what anybody tells you the threads on the fan shaft ARE NOT REVERSE)

4. Remove serpentine belt

5. Drain and collect coolant

6. Remove hoses from water pump

7. Remove water pump from engine

8. Remove pulley from old pump and reinstall on new pump

9. Clean old gasket material from engine block

10. Install new pump using new gasket and gasket sealer.

11. Reinstall hoses to pump and serpentine belt

12. Refill coolant

13. Reattach neg cable and run engine for a few minutes

14. Remove battery cable again and check closely for leaks

15. Reinstall fan and shroud

16. Replace battery cable again and you are done :rolleyes:

That is definitely a little more involved than what it was on my '93 as no special tools were required.Still doesn't look like that bad of a job as long as you have the right tools for it.I didn't have to remove my shroud either.

I agree. Have fun changing that pump. :chevy: You may want to invest in a mechanic's stethoscope. It's kind of like the thing the doctor uses to listen to your heart but it has a long probe on it that you place on certain engine components to listen to what's going on inside. Another thing is, you can take a 3/8in wooden dowel and cut it to about 2-3 feet. Place one end on the component and put the other end next to your ear with your thumb between the dowel end and your ear. Any sound that the component (pump, alternator, etc) is making will travel up the dowel and you can hear it. Listen for any scraping or squealing. These can be signs that the component is failing or has failed. :rolleyes:

...his squealing noise:

I bet his noise he hears is FROM THE LEAKING WATER PUMP. You know, when coolant contacts a drive belt, it makes all kinds of noise when you run an engine.

Replace your water pump; also check your idler pulley for any slop, and I am surprised that nobody mentioned to CHECK YOUR SEREPENTINE BELT for metal showing through the ribs of the belt.

Don't let anybody scare you about a Vortec 350 and doing a water pump; it's a walk in the park.

One of my most FAVORITE things to do on these older Vortecs?? Intake gaskets!! I love 'em!!

Archived