Tranny Temp Gauge

Does anyone know how to go about installing an aftermarket Tranny Temp Gauge, i am not looking for replacing the whole instrument panel right now, just adding a gauge, to be mounted under dash.  Is thier a wire that i could just tie into, i have read that the wiring is already their for the sensor.

Thanks

Matt G.

I'm not 100% sure, but you probably won't be able to get a useable signal from the wiring that is already in place.  It will be calibrated to the stock gauge, not an aftermarket one.  Like I said, I'm not sure about this.  Maybe someone will know for sure.

It would probably be easier to just order a tranny temp gauge and kit, since you don't want to replace the gauge cluster at this time.

You could use the pillar mount type, then for the wiring  just take out the pressure test port plug on the left side of the case and screw the sender in there (already tapped 1/8PT just like the sender). This puts the sensor in the flow before the torque converter (right after the pump, in fact) and gives a very accurate operating temperature; the temp at the cooler line is misleading IMHO. The case makes the ground; just run a wire (carefully routed) up to the gauge and wire it per mfg. instructions.  Depends on the mfg. of course but that is an alternative.

Good Luck,

BIG BLUE

Archived