parking brake light

this was kind of wierd but like a week or so ago I noticed a wiring harness was not plugged in. well actually it was half on on one side. I think it goes to the brain or somethin, its on the right side of the brake master cylinder. Anyway, so I pushed it in and now the parking brake light won't shut off. It's more of an annoyance :flag: but I would hate to just cut a wire to shut it off. when I'm sure there's an easy fix. anybody else have this problem and know how to fix it :)

are you sure that light only indicates that the parking brake is on and is not signaling a fault somewhere in the brake syste?

I am not sure what kind of truck you have, but on mine the light came on when i had a faulty sensor of some sort - and although that was a while back i am pretty sure it was the same light on the dash as the p. brake.

did you buy the truck used? maybe someone pulled the plug to cover up the an error code??

On most cars, the 'brake' warning light comes on for several different reasons. The first, to indicate that the parking brake is still applied. Second, to indicate a differential in master cylinder pressure between the front and back. Then, to indicate a faulty sensor, etc. If the truck stops well and there are no leaks in the system that you can see, then it's probably a faulty sensor or some electronic problem. Be sure to check for leaks though.

And on some vehicles I haven't looked at my truck but it could also be a warning for low brake fluid.

Absolutely. If the fluid's low, be sure to check pad wear and check for leaks. As the pads wear down, the fluid level in the master will decrease, turning on the light. If the level's good, the level sensor could be shorted or stuck.

:crazy: Hey there, Try adding brake fluid that is usually the problem when the parking light won't turn off. :lol:

I actually recommend against topping off:

Often the light comes on to tell the driver brake fluid is low due to pad wear and the brakes should be checked. If you just top it off you could end up runnin your brakes down metal to metal.

Also, if the brakes are good, and there are no leaks and the fluid gets filled...the next time a braked job is done and you start compressing caliper pistons, you're brake master is gonna look like Old Faithful with all of the extra brake fluid that comes spewing out of it....all over your engine compartment, possibly your paint..

and we know what brake fluid does to paint.

If you do a complete inspection of the brake system and everything's ok (pad life, no leaks), then by all means, top off the fluid to turn off that annoying light. Just remember when you go to do your next brake job to syphon some brake fluid out of the master cylinder reservoir to avoid a messy situation.

I recomend always opening the bleeder when compressing the caliper. you do not want any trash being pushed back thru the master cylinder. imo that is the easiest way to cause a problem. but it does sound like a low level sensor causing the problem after checking for pad wear top off the master cylinder and/or take a "clean" screw diver and manualy mess w/ the float and see if it is stuck.

I recomend always opening the bleeder when compressing the caliper. you do not want any trash being pushed back thru the master cylinder. imo that is the easiest way to cause a problem. but it does sound like a low level sensor causing the problem after checking for pad wear top off the master cylinder and/or take a "clean" screw diver and manualy mess w/ the float and see if it is stuck.

I'm with facn8me :lol: , dont want any dirt to pass through the ABS valves :crazy:

:crazy: Well the fluid was a bit low (actually half empty) the seal was crooked so I'm guessing it was pissin all over the place :lol: so after I filled it up(not topped off though :D ) and pressure washed the motor the light is still on. There is tons of meat left on the pads so judging by you guys and gals ideas I must have a short somewhere. :sigh: Oh and ness5575 the truck is a 90 GMC Sierra SLE SC SB 5.7L EFI the front rotors are a little warped so I get a nice vibrating massage when I'm on the brakes from 45 to 40mph :D I guess this is the kick in the arse I needed to get me to fix it :D thanks for the input guys and gals :flag:

Archived