New experiment with air filter box

I'm trying a little something with the stock air filter box.  I've heard of a few people drilling holes and stuff to let more air in but I didn't want to go that far.  What I did was remove the small tube on the lower part of the housing that draws air in from the fender.  The foam is still there that seals it up to the fender.  The tube just snaps out.  The second thing was I removed the upper tube that leads to the fender as well.  If you look at it, it has a fairly large opening on the housing side but norrows down a good bit where it meets the fender.  I stuffed a piece of foam up in the back side of the opening in the fender to keep the incoming air from just flowing past the opening for the air filter and through the fender.  My idea is it will stop the air from going on into the fender and let more get pulled into the air filter.  Plus the larger opening in the side of the air filter housing will let more air in as well.  I know cooler air is better and this will be drawing a little air from under the hood, but I just wanted to try it out.  I may get a K&N FIPK sometime, so basically I just did this to have some thing to do cause I was board.  LOL   I'll give it a little while and see how it works and post some results, if any.

Sounds like a good idea, it just might work. I think about these little free mods myself sometimes. I was thinking about the FIPK myself but have heard about people getting grit/oil residue inside there theottle bodies so for now I am unsure. Keep us posted.

Well, I've only driven about 30 miles with it so far.  As far as the "seat-of-the-pants meter", I can't really tell.  But I put my hand near the big opening in the air filter housing and reved the truck up by hand at the throttle body, and I could definately feel alot of air being sucked in.  The computer might still need more time to "learn" the change.  Still not sure if it's really making that much of a difference.

I borrowed Shaner's picture from the Tech Center to show which parts I removed in case anyone is not sure what I was refering to.  The two pieces are in the yellow box.  The sencond part is the tube on the inside of the box.  It just snaps out.  By the way, both pieces can be reinstalled easily.

stock_airbox.jpg

(Edited by MountaineerTom 99Z71 at 11:51 am on May 30, 2001)

Well, I put the pieces back on today.  The other day I got in some mud and somewhat deep water while playing around and noticed that some mud/sand/water splashed into the box.  Not very much, but more than I wanted.  

Kind of makes me wonder about getting the K&N FIPK kit now.  I don't regularly get into the mud and stuff I was in so I know it wouldn't be like that all the time.  Anyway, just passing on the info.

I was wondering about water intrusion.  It seems that the recent build Duramax trucks are coming from the factory with that section that goes from the airbox to the fender removed.  Seems some guys are getting water in their box with that setup too.

Archived