What to do?

When we bought my truck, i had very few choices on what to get. We wanted a small truck, therefore=S-10.

Now i'm not so sure what i want. Both the Avalanche and the TrailBlazer are out. I love the looks of both. I like that both have alot more room than my truck. Both fit 5 people. Both would have leather and a sunroof.

The avalanche would have a bed, but with the midgate, i would use it more for just covered storage. The TrailBlazer is all enclosed, with no bed, but i don't use the bed in my truck an awfull lot now anyway.

They both cost the same, but the TrailBlazer gets better mpg.

Another plus for the TrailBlazer, is the sound system. The Bose system is awesome compared to the Avalanche.  I NEED a good stereo in my vehicle.

Another prob, is that i don'tknow when i've getting rid of the current truck. Its in my parents name, and they ultimatly decide its fate.

Now i'm, bummed, cause i don't know when i'm going to get one, and two i don't know what to get.....

Quote: from DigUout on 10:04 pm on June 27, 2001

Solution #1.- Sell your parents on E-bay

LOL, that's funny!

For me, I'd have to have a bed over the enclosed area.  With the Avalanche, I guess you get a little of both.  You could always put in a better sound system.  The dash part of the Avalanche seems to be about the same as the full size trucks, and if the doors are the same, changing the stereo/speakers and such sould be pretty easy.  

Hey mervz get the avalanche something new and not many people have them. But then again the trailblazer is sweet. Around here the avalnches are about wit hthe trailblazers around or for a pretty much loaded one. My parents are looking in to  a trailblazer

Decisions, Decisions,

I drove an Avalanche for the first time just today.  I will say, with all the press photos that I saw I did not like the looks of it.  The ugly side molding, the goofy "mid-gate" (which is prone to leaks I'm sure), the plastic/composite/kryptonite looking bed cover, etc. etc. In person it is a bit more likeable and I think this truck will grow on people who don't like it.  What I saw and drove in person was better than all that I've read about.

With that said however, if I'm gonna spend ?K on a truck then it better have more than the 5.3L engine, and a plastic bed cover and rocker panels!  Shoot, for a few pennies more, I can get a 3/4 ton HD Crew Cab SB, 8.1L/Allison! and have the option of putting a topper on it or a tonneu cover.

I've owned 4 Suburbans and many full-sized trucks and I think the Avalanche is over-rated and over-priced.  Not to mention the fact that it's the first production year and my golden rule is to NEVER buy a first production year vehicle.  

Funny thing is, when I went to drive the Avalanche, it was parked at the end of the row with all of the new Trailblazers, so I checked them out too.  Nice, but too small for me.   Looks like GM took a little of the Grand Cherokee and a dash of the Explorer and a pinch of the Blazer and came up with this design.  I did not drive one but again with the new I6, I'm sticking by my golden rule and want to see how this engine will hold up with the front axle running right through it!?!

I think you need to decide between the needs of a full size chassis truck vs a mid size or S-10 size chassis.  If looks alone are the deciding factor then throw that thought out the window.

This truck/SUV market is crazy!  I like the fact that we as consumers are offered many different flavors to chose from but these prices are ridiculous.  I never thought I'd be spending over 40k for a **** truck, but then again I never thought I'd spend ? for a bottle of water either!!!

Just my thoughts,

BIG BLUE

Shaners,

Yeah, I'm waiting to see what happens with the 3/4 ton version.  I've heard it will also get the 8.1L and maybe the D-max option down the road (just rumor most likely).  Any word on the Allison tranny in them?

Still my point is this; if they are gonna charge ?K for the 1/2 ton Avalanche with 5.3L, then what do you think it will cost for the 3/4 ton with 8.1L and Allison?   C'mon guys, when it comes down to it, it's still just a truck with some JC Whitney type add on's!  

I guess I look at it from a Suburban buyers point of view.  The other day I looked at a 3/4 ton Sub with the 8.1L/LT package and the price was ?K!!  For years the Suburban was the top of the line truck you could get in terms of price and comfort.  Every time the C/K or Silverado trucks went up in price with the new style, you knew when the Subs came out with the new design they would be increased too.

Well now the Escalade has taken the lead in this saga to be the "top of the line" GM truck with all the bells and whistles.  My buddy just bought one and the sticker was ?K!!!!   Honestly, I think when GM can look people in the face and tell them that their Trailblazer and 1/2 ton Avalanche with 5.3L are gonna be priced in the mid to upper ?'s then this only bumps the price of the full sizers, without a blink of the eye.

Oh well, off my soapbox for now,

BIG BLUE

Big Blue,

It's all a matter of supply-and-demand (basic economcs).  It's a good thing for the manufacturers...  they can control the pricing on these vehicles and set them extrodinairily high because there are millions of people that are willing to pay what they want.  That is why pick-ups, SUV's and mini-vans have the largest profit margins for these companies.

It's a trendy thing to own a truck or SUV, and minivans are (for most people that own them) a necessity!!!  If you want or need something that some one else has, then you'll pay what they are asking!!!

There are minivans on the market that sell in the upper ?'sK.  That's just plain crazy!!!  My wifes '00 Olds van stickered for over ?K but we bought it anyways, because we wanted it!!! (And need it with the kids).

Sorry I wandered from the topic a little, but my dealer ordered a 2500 Avalanche for a customer last week.  I haven't yet seen one, but I think it would be a cool truck/SUV for Mervz to get...  As far as the "tunes", I don't understand why GM doesn't offer a Bose system in their trucks.  You've been able to get the Infinity system in Dodge trucks for years!!!  GM/Delco has really gotten better over the years, but a premium sound system would be a great option...

Mervz,

Since both are new, chances are the dealers are not going to give great deals until the end of the year. I have found that in cases like this if I don't know what to do then I wait. The right answer will come

(Edited by Stepside Z at 2:01 pm on June 28, 2001)

Quote: from Stepside Z on 1:59 pm on June 28, 2001

Mervz,

Since both are new, chances are the dealers are not going to give great deals until the end of the year. I have found that in cases like this if I don't know what to do then I wait. The right answer will come

(Edited by Stepside Z at 2:01 pm on June 28, 2001)

Your right, but i'm lucky enough to have the GM family discount. My uncle works for GM.  Our local dealer will do the GMS on the TrilBlazer, and i've found another dealer accross the country that will do it on the Avalanche. So, fourtunatly, i'm not "looking for a deal", per se. :biggrin:

I'm still torn, but i guess i won't fret too much untill i get the go ahead.

Mervz- remember, at some point in the future you are going to get rid of this truck also.....what do you think the trade in/blue book value of the Avalanche will be vs. the Trail Blazer a few years from now when its not the new concept type of vehicle it is now?  Get the Trail Blazer. Less $$$, better gas milesage, better stereo, as for your babe magnet requirement.....it has the covered "bed" right?  Nuff said.

For some reason I just don't see Zane in a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup.  Seems like it would be a bit excessive for his uses....

Oh btw, I have no idea which one I would choose between the Trailblazer or Avalanche.  LOLI'm going to wait until I see the Avalanche it person before I judge it too harshly.

Out of the two, I'd have to recommend the Avalanche...  the mpg's aren't that different, but as for seating 5, you'd have to agree that the Avalanche will seat them more comfortably.  And knowing that the bed is there should you ever need it would be rather reassuring.

Now if they offered, oh say, a ZR2 TrailBlazer or something more badass than an LTZ (still midsize) that costs as much as a fullsize, I may have to consider the options a bit more seriously...

i hate to point it out, as i proudly own my chevy...

it was only a few months after ford brought out their Explorer Sport Trac(k?) that chevy started advertising long and loud for the avalanche...

i really wouldn't want drive something that was purely desinged to keep up with the blue oval...

Archived