Brake fluid capacity

BDK

Does anyone out ther know the capacity of the brake fluid system in a 2001 Silverado. I just bled my system and went through a half gallon including the master cylinder. Did I get most of it out of there?

I just changed mine last week in a '02 Silverado. Just sucking the fluid out of the master cylinder reservoir took nearly a quart to refill. And I didn't even begin to bleed the system yet. By the time I bled the system out and each of the lines ran clear, I went through nearly 2 quarts of fluid. Sounds like you got pretty much all of the old fluid out.

I just changed mine last week in a '02 Silverado.  Just sucking the fluid out of the master cylinder reservoir took nearly a quart to refill.  And I didn't even begin to bleed the system yet.  By the time I bled the system out and each of the lines ran clear, I went through nearly 2 quarts of fluid.  Sounds like you got pretty much all of the old fluid out.

Yep, about 2 quarts. I replaced all my calipers and went with SS brake lines. Counting emptying the master cylinder I used under 2 quarts using a power bleeder. I use ATE Blue and Gold alternating. When I flush, I use the other color and when bleeding, I bleed until the color changes. That way I know it all got replaced.

Archived