Intermediate steering shaft saga continues

I visited my dealer today to check on the avalability on the revised shaft. The service rep told me GM no longer replacing the shaft, back to the lube procedure. I said what the @*%# is going on! He said sorry this is GM's decision. Meanwhile someone sitting in an adjacent office overheard our conversation and said that they are replacing them. Can you say communication breakdown! He checked with parts and they had 4 shafts in stock. Not sure of the part #. I made an appointment for Tues. am. This is an issue GM should have resolved a long time ago. Hope this works out. :seeya:

I visited my dealer today to check on the avalability on the revised shaft. The service rep told me GM no longer replacing the shaft, back to the lube procedure. I said what the @*%# is going on! He said sorry this is GM's decision. Meanwhile someone sitting in an adjacent office overheard our conversation and said that they are replacing them. Can you say communication breakdown! He checked with parts and they had 4 shafts in stock. Not sure of the part #. I made an appointment for Tues. am. This is an issue GM should have resolved a long time ago. Hope this works out. :seeya:

What is the problem with the shaft? I have an 03 Silverado 1500 should i be looking at something? My warranty is up in 700miles and i would like to get everything taken i can from Chevy.

What is the problem with the shaft? I have an 03 Silverado 1500 should i be looking at something? My warranty is up in 700miles and i would like to get everything taken i can from Chevy.

Do a search on the subject. Plenty of info. If you need further info PM or E-mail me.

This really is an ongoing saga. I just got mine replaced two days ago. My warranty is still active so it was covered regardless. It was an updated shaft design. If my memory serves me correctly the 05 model year is the first to posess the updated version. Anything older should be replaced. It is not a recall yet, so if your warranty is up you will have to purchase it and install it. There is a great PM on this site showing pictures on installment. I think the part number is 0500472. According to the mechanic at my dealership there has been a few cases of the new designed shafts coming back with the same symtoms as the old ones. That is just great GM. How long have steering shafts been around? Yeah, that is what I thought, you would think the concept could be perfected by now. This whole problem just blows my mind. It could be worse. When I purchased my last truck (99 Silv in Sept of 98), I immediately lost the shaft. They replaced everything from the tie rod ends to the steering gear trying to figure out what would eventually become the NBS's biggest failure part. What a mess that was. I kept on returning saying "there is a clunk in the steering". And as always at GM there is the "mechanic shop parts replacer" who just starts going through your truck like crap through a goose to try and finally remedy the problem.

Actually all '04 models (and some late '03's) have the revised shafts. That is the reason the TSB covered only to '03 models. I can tell you that I've heard complaints from some '04 and '05 owners with the same symptoms. In fact our '04 Tahoe feels like it does it slightly when cold--just not as bad as when my '02 before I lubed it. Does fine when it warms up.

I visited my dealer today to check on the avalability on the revised shaft. The service rep told me GM no longer replacing the shaft, back to the lube procedure. I said what the @*%# is going on! He said sorry this is GM's decision.

This is not totally accurate. The shafts have been hard to get for a while and GM has recommended lubing them in the interim, but no way have they said don't replace it. Yes, they may have to lube it to hold you over until they get the shaft in, but replacement has not been cancelled.

So...do the 04's have it or not? I bought a lifetime alignment service on my 04 2500HD. Everytime I feel a knock or something lose I take it in and get it aligned. So far I have had it aligned at roughly every 1500 miles. Yes one thousand five hundred miles or less. Most of my driving is on paved roads that really do not have pot holes. But I figure 4x4 truck this is normal. After the alignment the knock will go away. That is how I know when it is time for an alignment. Would you say the steering column needs to be replaced or would you say the tire rod ends leave something to be desired?

Yep, they don't look very much different, but all of the '04 production is suppose to have the new shafts. As I also said, I've heard complaints on some '05 models too. Our '04 Tahoe does have an occasional clunk when it is cold also. Guess I'm gonna have to buy some stock in the lube company. :seeya:

I bought a lifetime alignment service on my 04 2500HD.  Everytime I feel a knock or something lose I take it in and get it aligned. 

No way an alignment has anything to do with a knocking in the front end. Reminds me of the woman who used to come in all the time years ago with an imaginary driveability problem. We'd open the hood, fiddle around for a bit, looking like we were doing something. Then we'd tell her the timing was off but it's okay now. She was always like, "Oh my, it runs so much better now!" when we got done.

Several months later she'd be back again, and again we'd "set" the timing (in her head) and she'd be happy for several more months. This went on for several YEARS! Not once did that car really ever run poorly.

Not that you're imagining the noise, but setting toe or caster/camber ain't going to make a knocking noise go away, no way. Never in the 30+ years that I've been doing this have I seen any vehicle that needed an alignment every 1500 miles. They need to fix the real problem, if you have one.

I have an 05 2500hd 4x4 diesel and I hear that clunk that everyone has been talking about every now and then..supposively they lubed up the intermediate shaft..i hear the clunk here and there still..should I take it back to the dealer and tell them to replace the shaft?

Do you folks hear it especially when turning the wheel at slower speeds? I feel/hear something on my '02 that almost sounds like something is "popping". Will the dealer replace it automatically or just lube it the first time? Thanks!

Archived