Helm's Manual - Scan Tool -

About every section I read starts with "connect scan tool".

I looked around in my garage and I don't think I have one, in fact I'm pretty sure I don't... :devil:

Is there just one? Are there multiple harnesses for attaching it, or does it just connect to one test connector?

Where can I get one at a reasonable price, and would it be much help?

Thanks!

Jim

Jim,

There are several different scan tools to choose from and several different software packages that will enable you to read codes via a laptop or PDA. It really boils down to what you want to spend.

I have software loaded on my laptop, I'll find the link to the company and post it. The package was $122 and included brief instructions, the software, and data port cable.

AJ

Here you go http://www.obd-2.com/

Thanks AJ!

It looks pretty simple and I have a couple old laptops that could be put to good use for checking out my truck.

Where is the OBD-II connector on my truck? ('03 K2500HD) Is it something you can plug into and go for a drive and log data?

I think I'm gonna have to get me one of these when I recover from spending $ on my PCM...

Arent the newer trucks running an odb3 system. If so anyone know what year they made the switch?

The connector should be on the driver's side dash (at the bottom) just to the left of where the center console is. Shold be pointed down at about a 45 degree angle, and look like a larger computer shaped connector.

I just picked up an Actron 9135 from Pep Boys. Pretty neat as it tell you the code and what the code means. It can also erase the codes with a push of the button. Best of all...It was 99.00 on sale.I needed it becaue my truck with my tune set of that pesky P0300 code. Cleared it with the scan tool and so far all is well...

Archived