WINTER WINDSHIELD WIPERS

Do any of you switch from a non- winter weather wipers to a winter wiper? Are they worth it or just another marketing scheme? I typically change my wiper blades twice a year, just before the snow flies and then again around Memorial day, with the typical Trico blade replacements. However, I'm finding that on my 01 GMC, the normal blade has a tendency to clog up with snow during the winter and what happens is the blade only clears about a 2 inch sweep because the snow builds up and freezes. This is why I'm thinking of changing to a winter blade, hopefully this will improve visability.

Thanks for the responses.

I switch to winter blades in Nov and keep them on until April. Answer to your second question, yes they do make a difference. They do not "ice up" like normal blades do. I can see a major difference in performance when the snow flies. I had the same problem that you have and about 2 years ago I started running them in the snowy months and it sure helped. It is about that time of year to put my summer blades back on, but up here in northern Utah we are still good for another winter storm or two before Easter.

Do any of you switch from a non- winter weather wipers to a winter wiper?  Are they worth it or just another marketing scheme?  I typically change my wiper blades twice a year, just before the snow flies and then again around Memorial day, with the typical Trico blade replacements.  However, I'm finding that on my 01 GMC, the normal blade has a tendency to clog up with snow during the winter and what happens is the blade only clears about a 2 inch sweep because the snow builds up and freezes.  This is why I'm thinking of changing to a winter blade, hopefully this will improve visability.

Thanks for the responses.

They do make a difference and so do heated wiper blades. We run heated blades on our plow trucks.

Every year I say "gotta get winter wipers", and I never get around to it :D (just one of those things I always forget until it's too late). They definitely help with icing though, I've used them on other vehicles in the past.

I also snowplow in the winter. I put winter blades on all my

vehicles in the fall.

One thing tho ....I notice the 22 inch. left side winter blade

hits and deforms the windsheild moulding along the edge

on the drivers pillar on my fullsize NBS Chevy.

So I run a 20 incher on the left side to prevent this.

On my Caddy I use a 20 instead of a 22 inch blade on the

passenger side because the end of the blade slaps the top

edges of the hood and fender and scrubs off the paint !

Winter gets OLD quick !..............geo :D

Yeah. I keep two pairs of silicone blades, one winter style and one regular (www.silblade.com). The winter blade definately helps in the winter. It doesn't ice up, though in the past I added the Prestone ice melt to the washer fluid and it took care of most of the ice.

Somewhere - maybe it was in the J.C.Whitney catalog - I recall seeing a heated stick-on strip that attaches to the inside of the windshield and warms that part of the windshield up super fast. I think the idea is to thaw and release frozen-on wiper blades real quick so you can get moving.

Don't remember how it worked. Maybe it needed to be permanently wired in, or maybe it plugged into the cigarette lighter.

Anybody seen one of those, or use it?

gnutruk

Archived