Transmission Fluid

Hello-

This is the second time this has happened to me. I purchased a used vehicle with an automatic transmission. When I checked the transmission fluid, vehicle running, tranny in park, there appears to be way too much fluid on the dipstick. Both vehicles came from reputable dealers. My questions are, why would they do this? or did they just not check? more importantly, what harm does this do? I continued to drive both vehicles with no apparent harm. Any thoughts?

Thanks-

Mike

One of those hand pumps down the dip stick tube saves a ton of time.

Pick them up at Checker or what not, and make sure it comes with a long siphon tube. If not pick up some bulk tubing while your there.

btw: Make sure your reading the stick right cause it can be a little tricky with the longer reach in these trucks. Pull - Clean - Insert 3 sec - pull - read.

Don't drop the pan, disconnect one cooling line and put a hose on the high pressure side and run the engine til you get about a quart out.

But first, make sure you have read it properly, per the book.

I don't think overfilling a tranny causes foaming, but it will cause hard shifting, at least it did in a dodge I used to own.

Overfilling the oil supposedly will cause foaming, because the crank hits the oil and whips it into foam. But there, an extra quart isn't enough to do it.

Don't drop the pan, disconnect one cooling line and put a hose on the high pressure side and run the engine til you  get about a quart out.

But first, make sure you have read it properly, per the book. 

I don't think overfilling a tranny causes foaming, but it will cause hard shifting, at least it did in a dodge I used to own.

Overfilling the oil supposedly will cause foaming, because the crank hits the oil and whips it into foam. But there, an extra quart isn't enough to do it.

It says right on the transmission stick "Do not overfill" and yes it causes foaming and will ruin a transmission. :cheers:

How are you checking?

It should be on level ground, HOT (up to running temp), in park, engine running.

There are two markings. One side for cold and other side for HOT.

Best to use the hose line to radiator as mentioned by Bill....but....be careful putting the line back on. It's a flared (tappered) fitting and must be lined up correctly before tightening. VERY soft metal, so can be messed up easily.

Thanks-

Transmissions hot & in park on level ground, vehicle running. If the "o.k." area is about one inch, then the fluid is reading about 2 inches above the top of the high mark. it's a little foamy looking too. I'm going to drain some fluid asap. Thanks for the input.

MIke

Archived