Front Plate Frame

Does anyone know if there is a front license plate holder made for my 2001 chevy Z71...Maybe one from the factory that would look good. Or one from another year that would work for my truck if they didnt make one for my year...All I have in my front bumper is the two holes... Just want something that would look a little better...Thanks

I'll post a picture tomorrow when I can get one in the daylight....but what I did was purchase a plastic Bell frame and mount it with the bolts from the bumper in the lowest slots. Then I attached the license plate to it using the top holes on the plate. You can follow the link below to see the frame. I'll post pics tomorrow. The plate has held up without any damage and the frame provides plenty of support. It looks good too!

http://www.bellautomotive.com/asp/product_...ls.asp?id=23381

I'll post a picture tomorrow when I can get one in the daylight....but what I did was purchase a plastic Bell frame and mount it with the bolts from the bumper in the lowest slots.  Then I attached the license plate to it using the top holes on the plate.  You can follow the link below to see the frame.  I'll post pics tomorrow.  The plate has held up without any damage and the frame provides plenty of support.  It looks good too!

XTOAK,

This may be just the solution I am looking for. I need something strong too, as My plate have been warped more than a few times from the lack of support. I can't wait to see how it looks installed.

Thanks,

Steve

don't know if this helps, but I just went thru the same problem with an 05 silverado and ended up using a GMC bracket and mounted it inverted and it works quite well.

hit the garage link from my post to see pics of it and here is some part# info I'd sent to someone else:

It is a GMC bracket so it won't show up as a chevrolet part as the bumpers are different.

it is # 15199886 and he has one in stock ($16.00) if you can't find one.

(I'm sure your dealer can get it)

maybe even gmpartsdirect.com if you havent already tried

I'll post a picture tomorrow when I can get one in the daylight....but what I did was purchase a plastic Bell frame and mount it with the bolts from the bumper in the lowest slots.  Then I attached the license plate to it using the top holes on the plate.  You can follow the link below to see the frame.  I'll post pics tomorrow.  The plate has held up without any damage and the frame provides plenty of support.  It looks good too!

XTOAK,

This may be just the solution I am looking for. I need something strong too, as My plate have been warped more than a few times from the lack of support. I can't wait to see how it looks installed.

Thanks,

Steve

Ric , so all I need is a GMC plate holder for the year chevy truck that I have ? Yours looks pretty good..  Thanks

The only thing I cannot say for sure is if your year model would convert to a corresponding GMC year model or not. (I can only say it worked out well in the case of my 05 in relation to an 05 GMC)

It's weird GMC offers a license plate housing and CHEV does not?????

According to the local Chevy dealer there is a GMC part number for the 01-02 years that is different (15059859). He was not able to tell from the books if either would fit my 02 bumper and didn't have them in stock for me to look at. The closest dealer that has them in stock is a bit of a trek for me. Perhaps someone else's local dealer has it and can check it out.

....but what I did was purchase a plastic Bell frame ....The plate has held up without any damage and the frame provides plenty of support.  It looks good too!

Dragging up this slightly "old" topic, but I finally went to the local Wal-Mart and saw one of these in stock. I think $3.30. With some washers leveling everything out, this is the "perfect" frame for the the late model Silverados. Price is certainly right! Looks "factory". Be sure to go into the hardware section and get a bunch of washers. Common sense should kick in and show you why when you start installing.

46127.jpg

Irymal....Say you think this would work ? Since you have seen this plate, is it just a backing or what ? Why would this be any different than just mounting the plate only with the 2 holes in the bumper ? Would this plastic just give the plate extra support or does the plate fit inside this piece ? Just asking your opinion since youve seen it.....Dont go to Walmart unless I really have too...2nd busiest Walmart in the US from what they say and it stays packed as all get out..not big on crowds...Thanks

Just re-read the messages here and you'll find that we are objecting to the lack of a mount for the front plate. The plate, as mounted on the factory holes, sticks out, gets bent, can catch pants cuffs, etc. The messages then moved to the GMC bracket, and this Bell bracket was brought up. Since it was cheap, I bought one. Sorry about your Wal-Mart.....not a problem here. But this isn't a Wal-Mart product. I'm sure you can get it mail-order via the internet. Google with its part number provided in the Bell link. Here's the message from XTOAK that got me onto this:

I'll post a picture tomorrow when I can get one in the daylight....but what I did was purchase a plastic Bell frame and mount it with the bolts from the bumper in the lowest slots. Then I attached the license plate to it using the top holes on the plate. You can follow the link below to see the frame. I'll post pics tomorrow. The plate has held up without any damage and the frame provides plenty of support. It looks good too!

lrymal,

Thanks for the input. I found that exact Bell piece in Target this weekend on clearance for $2.00.

Jasonsupafly,

The piece is not rock solid, but definitely strong enough. The last rain storm we had here my plate bent forward from the water reflecting off the lower bumper on a flooded street. This piece will definitely resist that. According to Bell it is available at a number of stores including pepboys, autozone, etc.

-Steve

Archived