12V Outlets in Silverado

sincityZ71

Question

GM-Tech or anyone else,

Okay. Slowly over the past month my outlets have been dying. Finally today I went to plug an adapter into the last working one left, heard a little buzzing sound for about 2 secs and it died. The other two died at some time, not really sure when. I have never really used them all that much, only when I took a couple of long trips, and then only to charge my phone when needed. So I am a bit disappointed. Any ideas on what may be the cause?? I am going to check the fuses, but since they seemed to die one at a time I am a little lost as to what caused it.

Thanks for your help.

0 answers to this question

Well they were all dead. The fuses where all blown for the three outlets, so I had to go under the hood and replace the cigar and aux outlet fuses. Did a test with my dads truck and determined that there is a problem with one of my adapters, when you plug it into and outlet, the fuse in the truck blows...haha...so I had to replace his fuses too... :) So now I need to see what is up with the one adapter...

The most likely cause is whatever you're plugging into them. The aux sockets are of a very simple (and durable) design and don't fail that I've ever seen. There are no moving parts, so I don't see them being at fault.

The only thing we ever see wrong is a blown fuse caused by a poorly designed adapter.

Well I will have to check all of that out tomorrow then. I tried 4 different adapters and none of them worked in any of the three outlets, so maybe there is a fuse problem. Just weird how they seemed to stop working one at a time.... :)

Archived