Air Conditioning Question

On my 89 GMC van my air conditioner is shot and I decided to remove the drier from the system to free up space in my engine compartment. A bunch of green oil spilled out of the compressor when I removed the drier. There are now two empty ports at the back side of the compressor.

You can see inside the compressor and there are some moving parts. It has started to squeel a little bit probably because the oil all came out. Should I put some motor oil in there and plug off the hole where the oil came out?

Also is there a way to remove the clutch from the compressor and still have the pully operational?

Thanks in advance.

Your compressor has an electric clutch. Should be 2 wires on the compressor, and they probably go to a connector, which you can just unplug. Unplug wires, clutch never engages, compressor just freewheels, and your fan belt(s) can run without running the compressor.

Your compressor has an electric clutch.  Should be 2 wires on the compressor, and they probably go to a connector, which you can just unplug.  Unplug wires, clutch never engages, compressor just freewheels, and your fan belt(s) can run without running the compressor.

I noticed that, but the clutch was still turning. I think I am gonna get a remanufactured compressor and that should solve my problem. How much would a dummy/bypass pulley run me from GM?

Thanks.

Your compressor has an electric clutch.  Should be 2 wires on the compressor, and they probably go to a connector, which you can just unplug.  Unplug wires, clutch never engages, compressor just freewheels, and your fan belt(s) can run without running the compressor.

I noticed that, but the clutch was still turning. I think I am gonna get a remanufactured compressor and that should solve my problem. How much would a dummy/bypass pulley run me from GM?

Thanks.

I doubt you can *get* one.

Are you saying your A/C compressor clutch is froze-up/rusted and the compressor was still turning? I'd try to confirm that by removing the belt and turning things by hand. (Engine off, of course. :D )

Archived