Tinted windshield strip...where did it go???

I was just noticing on my way home that other '05 chevy's have a tinted strip on the top of their windshields. Mine doesn't have it. Is this because I have the compass and temp gauge...or onstar...or XM???

The only other vehicle I've owned that didn't have this strip was my 98 TJ...

most 04's and some 05's didn't have it, mine does have it and I have XM and the compass/temp mirror.

Does yours have that black mesh dot stuff behind and above the rear view mirror?

No just a tinted band the whole way across about 4" wide, but my company GMC has the black block and dots just behind the mirror and that is on an 04 also.

I was just noticing on my way home that other '05 chevy's have a tinted strip on the top of their windshields.  Mine doesn't have it.  Is this because I have the compass and temp gauge...or onstar...or XM???

The only other vehicle I've owned that didn't have this strip was my 98 TJ...

I work at the parts dept. at a local dealer and catalog says that 04-05 trucks take 2 differnt windows the only option is a04 (tinted window) you eaither had the glass replaced or you might want to check in you glove box to see if you have that opt. code on the white sticker

Okay Guys, here's the scoop. In '04 the windhield was available with the shade band across the top. In '05 GM requested that it come tinted only, with a "Third Visor Frit"...this is the black dot-matrix you see behind the rear view mirror. It's purpose is to deflect the sun from blinding you in that area. It has nothing to do with any accessories on your truck. It is simply a cost savings idea. :cheers:

A "Frit" is the black ceramic band that surrounds the windshield. This is to protect the urethane from breaking down from the UV Rays. It also gives it a clean look. This frit extends down at the top center of the windshield to keep it uniform.

My Suburban has no tinted strip, but the "dot matrix" design behind the mirror. Before we go on vacation, I am going to tint the door windows and a 6 inch strip from the top on the front windshield like I did my Silverado.

...as long as you understand that 6 inches is not legal. You have little markes on the left and right side of your windshield about 4 inches down. This is the legal limit and it's 4 inches. You will be giving the police a reason to pull you over at any time...otherwise known as probable cause.

My Suburban has no tinted strip, but the "dot matrix" design behind the mirror. Before we go on vacation, I am going to tint the door windows and a 6 inch strip from the top on the front windshield like I did my Silverado.

...as long as you understand that 6 inches is not legal. You have little markes on the left and right side of your windshield about 4 inches down. This is the legal limit and it's 4 inches. You will be giving the police a reason to pull you over at any time...otherwise known as probable cause.

That limit differs from state to state.

http://home.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/

Archived