What's the Nicest High Mileage Car?

Greg

While talking about the overall MPGs I'm getting with my 3 three vehicles (14.5 with the SD, 24 with the CTS, and nearly 33 with my son's Honda Del Sol), someone asked an interesting question: what's the nicest vehicle with really good mileage, say about 35 MPG overall? His top priorities for a new car:

- Comfortable leather interior like the CTS in both comfort and front seat dimensions. (Not too small.)

- Overall mileage in the mid-30s.

Good handling, quick acceleration, and automatic transmission are desireable, but not as important. Back seat comfort and trunk space are of little interest as this will mainly be a commuter car. Cost is also not a major concern, but anything much above $40K is probably out. He's not interested in hybrids - too much to go wrong. Suggestions in and out of the GM stable?

I am a salesman with a fairly wide territory, averaging approximately 1800 miles per week. While it's not always a 35 mpg car, I drive a '00 Monte Carlo SS when the Nebraska weather allows it (all but 4-5 days per year).

Great leg/head room, 3800 V6 gives 30-31 mpg if I keep it under 75. On days I am on all two lane, rural highways at 60-65 mph, I will hit the 35-36 mpg mark. Car has a great size trunk, even with a subwoofer and two amps. Plenty of power, great brakes. My car has a cloth interior, but leather is more plentiful on the SS. New models stay way under the $40k mark; I bought my 2000 in October 03 with 27,000 miles for $+/-$13, and now with 145,000 it still books at approximately $9,000.

New models also have turbo, and they are bringing in a new body style for 2006.

Just my opinion, but for me it's been a great car.

My Webpage

I think there has been a factory Turbo Monte.  80 and 81, two different generation G bodies.  Small bulge in the stock hood.  First Gen Buick V6 3.8L turbo underhood.

not sure, I know they t-type and GN buicks has one, but I think hat was still in the day when Buick had some of its own special motors

A fellow who ownes a Mercedes E320E CDI posted this on another forum:

"I recently came from the airport in Nashville for 2 hours in my CDI with 4 full size adults, stuffed with luggage, at 75-80 mph and got 34 mpg, which has become routine with the summer diesel. The car has 30,000 miles on it and has had no problems at all. It currently tracks perfectly and pulls me back in the driver;s seat with its 369 ft lbs of torque. "

Most people would say the Benz is a much nicer car than the VW. :cheers:

A fellow who ownes a Mercedes E320E CDI  posted this on another forum:

"I recently came from the airport in Nashville for 2 hours in my CDI with 4 full size adults, stuffed with luggage, at 75-80 mph and got 34 mpg, which has become routine with the summer diesel. The car has 30,000 miles on it and has had no problems at all. It currently tracks perfectly and pulls me back in the driver;s seat with its 369 ft lbs of torque. "

Most people would say the Benz is a much nicer car than the VW. :cheers:

Mercedes E320 E CDI = $49,220 - $63,420 MSRP.

If you're spending that much money to add 1/3 better gas mileage, you need your head checked.

:D

Archived