Center cap inserts

I'm not sure of all the years they were available, but does anyone have the factory center caps for the rally wheels from a '91 Chevy 2wd 1500 Sport, or the 454SS?  If so, could you measure the diameter of the insert in the center cap?  Just the part with the bowtie emblem is all I need a measurement for.

Thanks.

(Edited by MountaineerTom 99Z71 at 9:34 pm on June 20, 2001)

Quote: from Shaners on 6:57 am on June 21, 2001

uhoh....  Tom's up to something again!!!  LOL

LOL

Actually, It doesn't have to be only a sport or 454SS, a regular Silverado will work.  They have a black insert with gold bowtie, where the other two have black with a red bowtie.  I'm curious if they will be the same diameter (3 1/8 inch) as the center part of my wheels with the gold bowtie and the words "chevrolet trucks" written around the edge.  If I remember right, the inserts are held on by double sided tape, like all the emblems.  If they are the same size, I may have to test fit a black/red one on my truck to see how it looks.

Just an idea I've been playing with.

This is the style I'm looking for, the inserts are the same size, just different colors.

91plain.jpg

(Edited by MountaineerTom 99Z71 at 9:02 am on June 21, 2001)

The wheel covers on that truck look exactly like the new ones I bought for my Suburban.  Do they bolt on from behind the wheel, bolt on from the front, or snap on?

FYI, the wheel covers on my Suburban are from an '88 model Suburban, bolt on from behind, and have 2-1/2" centers that are dark blue/black with yellow bowties.

I'll probably have a picture to post soon.

Hope this helps!

Jeff

Jeff,

That was my old truck.  It was totaled in a wreck in '99.  There's more pics of it and the mods I did to it on my page in my signature.  The center caps were held on by those black cap that thread on to the actual lug nuts underneath, very similar to the new body style trucks.

(Edited by MountaineerTom 99Z71 at 12:03 am on June 23, 2001)

I took a pic of one of my "new" center caps...the set is off an '87 Suburban, and is different from what you were looking for.  They were designed to screw into the steel wheel with self-tapping sheet metal screws, but they were plated steel and rusted pretty quickly.  I used stainless steel bolts from the back of the wheel with stainless steel acorn nuts on the front, like little mini lug nuts.  I think it turned out pretty well...

newcap.jpg

Jeff

(Edited by 76BBSub at 10:03 pm on June 25, 2001)

Archived