ABS problems on the trucks

just wanted to give eveyone heads up

the NHTSA is looking in to making GM do a recall on faulty ABS /wheel hubs on gmc sierras and chevy silverados

how do i know >???

i have 2 people from the nhtsa looking at my 2000 sierra and documenting it for a potential recall

gm has said that there wasnt enough complaints to justify a recall

so if you have a 1999 and up sierra or silverado that the ABS kicks on on a dry road at low speed please visit

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems...laintsearch.cfm

and file a complaint so we can get this recalled

• 2 weeks later...

Chris, any update? My truck is currently in the shop for this exact problem. I did have brake failure, and an accident. What was the exact problem with yours? What needed replacing? Thanks for the info, I filed a complaint today.

Rob

Chris, any update? My truck is currently in the shop for this exact problem.  I did have brake failure, and an accident.  What was the exact problem with yours?  What needed replacing?  Thanks for the info, I filed a complaint today.

Rob

i havent heard anything more than what i have said so far

maake sure you keep all of you paperwork as documentation in a recall

my first suggestion would be to pull the fuse on the abs so you dont haveanother problem

basically the way it was explained to me the ring in the hub gets corroded and sends bad data to the computer

hope everybody was ok after the accident

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a bunch Chris! I just had a friend inform me as well. He saw it on CNN.com

It's about time. My truck has been in the shop for the last two days (6 total now) to fix this problem. As a last resort my mechanic is changing the hub, as he's done everything else the dealer recommended. I also called GM last night, still waiting for a call back. Hopefully I'll get some money back for the repairs thus far.

Cheers - Rob

:driving: I have a 1998 ck1500 z71 that is experiencing the same problem as the 1999 and up. When I am going really slow approaching a stop, like a parking spot and I am only lightly on the brakes I occasionally feel the ABS system begin to work . Is this the same problem or am I facing something else? Any ideas?

Your vehicle is similar to mine, and I tried everything to solve this problem. Four possible causes: the first is similar to the reason the newer trucks are being recalled:

1. Corrosion between the wheel speed sensor (ABS sensor) and the bearing/hub assembly. There is one on each side (driver-pax). Remove the wheel speed sensor, clean the mating surfaces, place a small amount of Zinc-X (rust inhibitor) to the cleaned mounting surface, grease the mounting surface, and re-install the wheel speed sensor. This is the cheapest and easiest fix, so you might as well try it first.

2. It's a remote possibility that the wheel speed sensor (ABS sensor) is bad. You can check it with a voltage meter.

3. It's a remote possibility that the reluctor ring inside the bearing/hub assembly is damaged or otherwise full of debris or something, which also means...

4. The most likely cause is that one or both of your wheel bearings are shot, requiring the replacement of one or both of the bearing/hub assemblies. Remove the bearing/hub assemby and grab the exposed bearing (use a good 6-point 15mm socket). If it does anything but spin tightly, it's shot. Any play at all is not good, and will cause your ABS system to activate at low speeds. I've found it's typical for this to occur somewhere around 70K miles.

:shakehead:

I had both a 99 GMC 1500 2wd and a 2000 GMC 1500 4wd. Both of these trucks would lose the rear brakes by kicking in the antilock when I'd hit a bump while stopping on dry pavement. They both did it from day one and the dealer (dealers) never could figure it out. Unless this is something different the "cleaning" isn't going to work for this problem. I think either the antilock units are defective or there is improper programming. Both HD trucks I've had since do not have the problem. :shakehead:

Archived