Gas: 87 or 89 with Ethanol?

First, I'm not complaining about fuel costs. I started driving in the early 1980's when were paying $1.45 per gallon (adjusted for inflation, that comes to over $3 per gallon in today's dollars). I understand my Big Block is going to be thirsty...

That said, here in Nebraska the 89 octane fuel with ethanol is actually cheaper than straight 87 octane.

Any problems running higher octane and ethanol in my Big Block? My Westers tune is set for 87.

Well living in Iowa, 89 with ethonal is cheaper here as well. I always ran that but the switched to 87 to see if there was a difference. I noticed about a 1/2 to 1 full mpg better, the truck runs smoother with, I feel anyway, a little quicker getup and my truck doesnt ping goin up a hill when it would have to work. It sucks havin to pay .10 more for 87 octane then it does for 89 :sigh:

William

Well living in Iowa, 89 with ethonal is cheaper here as well. I always ran that but the switched to 87 to see if there was a difference. I noticed about a 1/2  to 1 full mpg better, the truck runs smoother with, I feel anyway, a little quicker getup and my truck doesnt ping goin up a hill  when it would have to work.  It sucks havin to pay .10 more for 87 octane then it does for 89 :sigh:

William

89 is cheaper because of the 51 cents per ethanol gallon (or 5 cents per 10% ethanol gallon) federal subsidy. Be aware that you are subsidizing ethanol whether you use it or not.

When others brag about 10% ethanol 89 octane fuel being cheaper, realize that you have made it so with your tax dollars, and that it wouldn't be cheaper without your subsidy.

I live in Minnesota and all of our gas has 10% ethanol except for some 93 octane at some stations. Running 89 won't hurt your truck and you won't notice a difference from the "pure" 87 octane. I have an 8.1 Ally and haven't had any problems with the blended gas.

Don't forget that ethanol has less btu's than straight gasoline so there should be a slight penalty in mpg, but with the 8.1 you may not notice it.

DEWFPO

• 2 weeks later...

I just returned from a 1500+ mile trip to South Dakota and back hauling a 7k lb camper and put in a 3/4 tank full of ethanol 89 in Nebraska because it was cheaper (this was my first experience with this gas)... I noticed that my mileage suffered about 1/2 mpg... (went from average of 8mpg to 7.5 while towing). I just stuck with 87 octane after that and continued to get better mileage. I will not put that cr*p in my truck again - I don't know what else it will affect negatively.

I generally burn the 10% ethanol all the time. Especially in the winter because the ethanol helps to displace any water in the fuel line and fight fuel line freezing. I have burned this gas for well over 15 years in my vehicles and snowmoibles and have had no adverse effects from it. Does my gas mileage suffer? I don't know, I never bothered to check the difference, but I'm not that concerned about a 1/2 mile per gallon difference.

My dad has been using a 10% ethanol blend on his farm since 1978. We have used it in every vehicle we have owned from our work trucks to lawn mowers to our camaros. He has two 2003 GMC 2500 HDs with 8.1s (One I just bought as he got a 2005 duramax) which we put it in with zero problems. Before that we had many 454s. I put it in my cammed camaro which is pushing 375-400 horsepower and he puts it in his 2002 Berger SS camaro which you may of heard of. It is heads/cammed and pushing 450+ horsepower. Again we have never had a problem with it. With these gas prices we need to move to a cheaper alternative fuel to become less dependent on the middle east and ethanol is the answer. Yes when we drive 8.1L engines a 1/2 mile difference seems like alot but at some point we need to make the switch to an ethanol blend fuel.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived