lp conversion

reem

Welcome to the board. :chevy:

I've heard of a local guy in my area that has a LP conversion on his 8.1.

I don't know what it consists of, but I know it is possible. This guy's family owns a propane dealer, so he gets a discount on it. I have heard from some people better mileage and some say worse mileage. I have no first hand experience. I would think that refueling may be a pain though.

One of my commercial customers (I manage a small NAPA Autocare) has brought in a couple of his trucks ('90's GM) with an alternate LP fuel control module installed. They had a large in bed tank. One was on a post '95 OBD II truck, the controller was labeled OBD II controller. I didn't pay a bunch of attention to them, at the time gas was still under $2. I can't remember the manufacturer but they do exist. I'll look for it and let you know. I was actually thinking of this same thing lately. I filled up two tanks for the travel trailer I'm taking to Louisianna and 30 gallons cost me $32. I was like, d**n I need one of those LP kits. I was at a hardware store near my house and work that's open 7 days a week. Hmmm, no problem keeping the truck full of LP here.

Some things I know about running LP fuel in a internal combustion are this. The octane is much higher but the BTU's are much lower. There's less thermal energy in LP so you use more for the same amount of work. So yes the mileage and power will be lower, but it's not enough to over ride the initial savings. You're pay (approximate figures here) 75% less per gallon for 30% less mileage. If you build an engine stricly for LP you can raise the compression ratio sky high, like 14:1 pop-ups, and regain some of the lost effeciency without detonation worries. LP burns absolutely clean, an engine that's run on LP will look shiney new when disasembled. Oil stays clean for much longer burning LP.

Those two trucks I worked on were Vortec 5.7's. They use a venturi type of carburetor that sits above the throttle body on those engines. There's a switch on the dash, like dual tanks, that activates the LP system and disables the factory fuel injection. By the time I saw them they were old and worn out. The LP didn't work for me anyways and pieces were in bad condition. Also heater hoses plumbed into the carb to heat the LP and vaporize it before it entered the intake. It would be a job to put something like this onto the LS1 style V8s we have now with the forward facing throttle.

It's got my interest now also due to the high cost of fuel and this Whipple charger I've got ready to install. There would be no detonation worries running LP, I could run lot's of boost and still spend less on fuel over all. Over 120 octane at $1.05 a gallon. That's my thinking anyways. Yeah I'd have to fill up more, sheese.

Vernon

Check Out :

http://www.hybridfuelsystems.com/gasoline-bi-fuel.php

They have Bi-Fuel and LPG only kits (as well as natural gas).

DEWFPO

GM/Chevy 6.0L V8 Bi-Fuel LPG

Liquid Propane Gas (LPG) Platforms

BI Fuel LPG

Available for the GMC / Chevy 6.0 Liter V8 Platforms - Model Year 2000-2004

System Overview

Direct Port Sequential Fuel Injected Natural Gas and Propane Kits

These kits mimic the OEM system as closely as possible for optimal performance and reliability

No loss of power or fuel mileage

Computer can control up to 10 separate injectors

LCD switch with built in diagnostics port, for monitoring system functions and calibration via modem or laptop

Dash mounted LCD button with graphics capability to handle fuel selection, on the fly switching between fuels, and alternative fuel level display

Each alternative fuel injector is controlled by a dedicated 2 MIP's processor which communicates with the main 16 bit Motorola processor operating at 16MHZ.

Model 2WD/4WD Engine Cab

C/ K 2500 6.0L V8

*Chev Silverado 2,4WD 6.0L All Cabs

*GMC Sierra 2,4WD 6.0L All Cabs

C/ K 3500 6.0L V8

*Chev Silverado 2,4WD 6.0L All Cabs

*GMC Sierra 2,4WD 6.0L All Cabs

SAVANA / EXPRESS 2500 PASSENGER 6.0L V8

*Chev Express 2,4WD 6.0L

*GMC Savana 2,4WD 6.0L

SAVANA / EXPRESS 3500 PASSENGER 6.0L V8

*Chev Express 2,4WD 6.0L

*GMC Savana 2,4WD 6.0L

SAVANA / EXPRESS 3500 EXT PASSENGER 6.0L V8

*Chev Express 2,4WD 6.0L

*GMC Savana 2,4WD 6.0L

SAVANA / EXPRESS 3500 CARGO 6.0L V8

*Chev Express 2,4WD 6.0L

*GMC Savana 2,4WD 6.0L

SAVANA / EXPRESS 3500 EXT PASSENGER 6.0L V8

*Chev Express 2,4WD 6.0L

*GMC Savana 2,4WD 6.0L

SAVANA / EXPRESS CUTAWAY 6.0L V8

*Chev Express 2WD 6.0L

*GMC Savana 2WD 6.0L

* Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Certified

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GM 8.1 Medium Duty

Liquid Propane Gas (LPG) Platforms

BI Fuel LPG

Available for the GM 8.1 Liter Platforms - Model Year 2000-2005

System Overview

Direct Port Sequential Fuel Injected Natural Gas and Propane Kits

These kits mimic the OEM system as closely as possible for optimal performance and reliability

No loss of power or fuel mileage

Computer can control up to 10 separate injectors

LCD switch with built in diagnostics port, for monitoring system functions and calibration via modem or laptop

Dash mounted LCD button with graphics capability to handle fuel selection, on the fly switching between fuels, and alternative fuel level display

Each alternative fuel injector is controlled by a dedicated 2 MIP's processor which communicates with the main 16 bit Motorola processor operating at 16MHZ.

Models

C2500 HD Silverado

C2500 HD Sierra

C3500 Cab & Chassis

C4500 Topkick/Kodiak

C5500 Topkick/Kodiak

C6500 Topkick/Kodiak

C7500 Topkick/Kodiak

Workhorse Chassis

Thanks for all the feedback. I am just looking into it and wanted to get all the info I could on it. I keep hearing natural gas is gonna raise like 60% in cost so that makes me wander if lp will raise also. I can get lp for 1.40 now and 87 octane is 2.79.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

sorry this is late.

Here in Australia many cars run 'duel fuel', meaning Petrol and LPG.

You can actually order alot of cars from the factory as a dedicated LPG only vehicle.

Alot of Suburban here run on LPG. So far I've resisted converting mine, but it's tempting. LPG here is around AUD40c per litre whilst Petrol is AUD$1.30 per litre.

Conversions usually run around AUD$2500.00. That's about USD$1800.00.

I converted my last car myself (you're 'supposed' to have a licence) after buying a secondhand kit from a wrecker.

Cost me AUD$500.00 to convert a 5 litre V8. It was pretty easy!

Archived