8.1 Oil Burn Off

Polak

I've noticed that I'm burnin' around 1/2 quart + in between oil changes. The amount depends on how much haulin' or towin' I'm doin'.

So my question is; Is anybody else experiencing the same? More or less?

Sorry if this is a :chevy: . I know there was a thread a while back on this, but I couldn't find it.

Thanks,

AJ

I had a 2002 - 2500LT Avalanche with the 8.1 engine. Mine burned oil like an engine with 300,000 miles on it.

There was a fix. Apparently, some wit at GM figgered that the intake manifold bolts were bottoming-out, or something. I had the intake bolts replaced and torqued...........still burned agout two-to-three quarts per 3000 miles. After the one warranty repair, several GM dealerships told me that my oil consumption was "within limits." Methinks bullsh!t.

I normally keep a truck about ten years, but I sold off the Avalanche after one year. The rear vision issues, gas-puking fill-ups and the oil-burning led me to a more standard unit.

I bought a 2003 Silverado LT-71 EC/SB 5.3/3.73. Yeah, it's only a half-ton, but it has absolutely no issues. Mileage is 20-highway, 14-city, the rig pulls my 23-foot trailer wonderfully and it has more clearance than the three-quarter ton rigs. What's not to like?

In answer to your question. Yes, oil-burning issues come as standard-equipment with the 8.1 engine. I loved its power but, personally, I hated adding oil every five hundred miles or so. We hunt all year long and I was afraid that it would leave me stranded in the bush.

Steve

It's way to early for me to draw any real conclusions on my rig but I burned about 1/2 qt up to 3,700 miles when I changed the oil. No towing during that time period. My 8.1 is an 05.

DEWFPO

Now have 47,000 miles on mine and use about 1/2 quart between oil changes most of the time but not always. Occasionally it needs none between changes.

Having heard of this problem before hand, I beat the living $h!t out of the truck during break-in. Don't know if it helped but it certainly didn't hurt.

Very happy with it.

My 2002 8.1 was using about 1 quart every 3000 miles and I finally got them to do the intake manifold bolt fix. This got it down to about 1/2 quart every 3000 miles. I then noticed that the valve covers were leaking. Nice oily residue on the bolts and valve covers toward the firewall. One dealership said that is normal, I said yea right! I took it to a different dealership and they replaced the gaskets and now my oil consumption is between 1/8th and 1/4 quart every 3000 miles.

By the way the other dealership keeps sending me letters asking me why I have not come back.

I wonder why.

01 8.1 with 96,000 miles, its uses and has always used a quart every 1300 miles or so. We just set the trip odometer and when its says 1,300 we just add a quart.

04, Sea Ray with twin 8.1's 380 hp, uses lots of oil, but its measured in hours not miles. I've put probably put 4 or 5 qts. in each engine so far this year. Although we do push marine applications a bit harder than trucks. I'll typically run 3650 to 4800 rpms while crusing.

You guys talk about mileage, the boat is lucky to get .75 miles per gallon. And marina gas is a bit more costly than waht is on land.

JC

You guys talk about mileage, the boat is lucky to get .75 miles per gallon.  And marina gas is a bit more costly than waht is on land.

JC

D@mn!!! :crackup:

I never really b!tched about mileage, but now, I'll really never b!itch about mileage. :chevy:

Thanks for all the input so far guys, eases my mind a little. Keep it coming.

AJ

Thanks for reminding me. I need to top off when I get home. I've got an 05' with 4500 miles. I switched to Mobil One at 1500 miles and have added about 3/4 qt. since then. Oh well. For some reason buying a quart of oil every now & then between changes doesn't sting nearly as bad as $75 fill-ups every 5 or 6 days.

I may be in the minority, but my 6.0 doesn't seem to burn any oil between oil changes. I usually go until my oil life reading is about 25%. Which is about 5500 miles. I know I should change my oil every 3000, but at that rate I'd be changing my oil every 4 weeks.

The GM guideline for normal oil consumption for vehicles above 8600 GVW is 1 qt per 100 gallons of fuel used. For vehicles below 8600 GVW it is 1 qt per 1000 miles.

So if you getting 10 miles a gallon, which many of us with 8.1L’s aren’t, then it still comes out to 1 qt per 1000 miles is considered normal.

Mine drinks a qt about every 1000 to 1200. Just last week my check engine oil level light came on and it was down 1.5 qts. Sounds like a lot of oil but it is consistent, if not better, than all previous big block engines GM has ever built.

"04, Sea Ray with twin 8.1's 380 hp, uses lots of oil, but its measured in hours not miles. I've put probably put 4 or 5 qts. in each engine so far this year. Although we do push marine applications a bit harder than trucks. I'll typically run 3650 to 4800 rpms while crusing. "

I think we would all like to see a picture of the Sea Ray at 4800 RPM's!

2004 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 8.1/allison 16,000 miles

Since it was brand new, 1 quart per 1,000 miles.

If I go 6000 miles between oil changes it has burned enough to be the equivalent of an oil change.

Took it in to GMC and they said it was "within specifications", but they would start an "oil consumption log". Don't know how they know when I add oil to it though..... :chevy:

Seems to run fine, so I keep adding oil.

I just go off the "check oil level" warning on the dash. That means its two quarts low. Add 2 quarts, go 2,000 miles, add 2 more quarts, after the 3rd "check oil level" warning I get an oil change. Thats my routine.

So if you only use 1/2 a quart, you are doing better then me.

P.S. I tow some, haul some, and drive some. Just a mix of driving.

Archived