Need Help With Wiring

I am going to installa trailer brake controller in my truck and need help locating the wires. I know were they are underneath the bed I just need to know were they end up coming out in the front, as in the 12 volt battery feed, the auxillery power, and the brake control wire itself. I have the 7-way plug wired on the the back to match the trailer, I just have to wire the controller in the cab and hook up the auxillary power feed.  And since my truck is the old body style i can't simply plug in a harness under the dash.  Any help would be appreciated.

The truck came prewired from factory, but did not include an end for the trailer (I put one on).  Underneath the back of the bed (just above the spare tire) there is a group of 7 wires in a loom for trailer lights and brakes, In the owners manual it explains what all of the wires are for (color coded).  It says that the blue and orange wires are for the trailer brakes and run up to the front of the truck somewhere in the chassis wiring loom.  As I said before I cannot simply plug in a harness underneath the dash because of the truck being the old body style.  I have all the trailer lights working, but I need to find these orange and blue wires for the brakes, one should be a signal wire to activate the brakes and the other a fused 12 volt battery feed.  There I explained it as best I could, any suggestions would be appreciated.

I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction, so since I'm not sure, my advice would be to stop by your local RV/travel-trailer dealer and ask the service dept.

My last truck ('00 Silverado) did not have the full trailering package, and my local truck/hitch/cap place said they would wire and and install a brake controller for $150 (controller included).  I know the truck had the wiring already there for the 4-prong plug but I wasn't sure about the 7-prong so I was going to have them do it for me (but then I traded the truck).

• 2 weeks later...

:) Under your dash on the drivers side and to the left of the steering column is a black box.  Remove this cover and this is were you plug in your harness that goes over to your brake controller. Sounds like the same guy had my truck too as the factory supplied wire harness is not there. Not to worry, go to an autozone store and purchase one for about $10.00.  Then plug it into that black box. By the way, the cover has a black like wing nut deal to remove the cover. the plug will only fit one way, then hook up the controller. You won't use the brown wire unless your controller has night illumination,most do not. If you need more info let me know and I'll help you. P.s. You plug a 40 amp Maxifuse in the fuse box under the hood and that gives you the 12 volts to your plug.

Archived