Power Steering Problem

Shawn T

Question

I cannot turn the wheel at slow speeds and on a standstill. Fluid level is good in the pump, and there is no appearant "hissing" coming from the pump itself (my experience with bad pumps is that they whine alot when they are going bad). The belt is not slipping, so it seems that it is not freezing up. The problem seems to be more hydraulic than mechanical. It is just very hard to turn at low speeds (under 2 mph) and impossible to steer at a stop. This makes it a circus act to park in a parking lot or parallel park. My warranty has expired and I know this is going to be a wallet drainer, but I don't want to start swapping parts. Could it be a bad steering damper? This is definately a hinderance on the driving capabilities of my truck. Please help. Truck in sig.

0 answers to this question

GM Tech,

Tomorrow I plan on changing the pressure control valve on my power steering pump. Now, I have looked around the pump a little bit using a flashlight (DMax leaves no room at all under there). I can't actually see the old one. Is it inside the pump? If it is, which is the best way to drain it, so I can remove it? I'm pretty capable, but a little advise from you would help alot. Another thing, it has not broke into the double digits here for a week now. It makes it miserabe to do little jobs like these, even in a garage. I want to change it as fast as possible!

Did the repair fix your issue? I have the same problem. I would be willing to try a part change if it worked instead of telling my self:

PIT3310, "No repairs should be attempted as this is a characteristic of the vehicle."

It's inside the pump, but not too far. :banghead: Look at the back of the pump where the high pressure line is attached. You'll see a large (about 1") nut that the line screws into. You have to remove the line, then when you remove that large nut, the valve is behind it and comes right out.

I also have a (HARD STEERING) 2005 3500 chevy pickup. My pump even hisses and groans under those conditions. My local dealers have changed the pump relief valve and it actually made it worse. They then changed the power steering gear assembly and it had little or no affect to the problem. They then said one of my tires was 3 lbs low on air..LOL Imagine that. My truck started these(NORMAL) systems at 1613 miles.. It is really hard to steer now at 21000 miles and its still under warranty.. SEEMS to me that this is a bigger problem then what the dealers would leave customers to believe. A local dealers service manager siad he has tons of complaints about this issue. but gm does not have a fix for this. I had a 98 k3500 4x4 with 7.4 that had the hydro boost and NEVER had any of these issues with it.

GM Tech,

Tomorrow I plan on changing the pressure control valve on my power steering pump. Now, I have looked around the pump a little bit using a flashlight (DMax leaves no room at all under there). I can't actually see the old one. Is it inside the pump? If it is, which is the best way to drain it, so I can remove it? I'm pretty capable, but a little advise from you would help alot. Another thing, it has not broke into the double digits here for a week now. It makes it miserabe to do little jobs like these, even in a garage. I want to change it as fast as possible!

Did the repair fix your issue? I have the same problem. I would be willing to try a part change if it worked instead of telling my self:

PIT3310, "No repairs should be attempted as this is a characteristic of the vehicle."

Thats what the dealer will probally tell you thats its a normal condition.. They should tell customers that before a person spends all that money to buy a GM truck with the (NORMAL STEERING CONDITION) Just my opinion..

I'm not sure if I have the same issue but this thread may explain a problem I have with my steering on my 2002 Yukon Denali.  For the past 6 mos., I've been getting a whining noise with some vibration when turning at low speeds or when stationary.  It sounds and feels very much like a low fluid condition but my fluild level is fine with no sign of leaks. 

I took the truck into the GMC dealership over the summer and they thought it might be a bad power steering pump valve.  They weren't 100% sure and they were unable to identify the part number for just the valve so they recommended replacing the entire pump for $700.  That was a bit high considering they weren't totally sure if the pump was bad so I chose to wait for the pump to fail.  It's still working, although the condition remains and it hasn't gotten any worse.

GM-Tech, does this sound like a faulty valve and if so, is the part number the same for my truck?  I'd certainly try replacing a $17 part if there is a good chance it will fix the problem.

I called my local idiots and they want to change the pump also. Don't do it. I ordered the part through GM Parts Direct. I can see the valve on the pump itself and it looks like a fairly simple change. With SH I am back about $30 bucks and a 6-pack of beer. I will update with my results from the valve change. I just oredered it yesterday, so it will probably be a week from Saturday before I get it changed out. Our service department is so incopitant here that it is just mind boggling to me. If I did that s*&ty of a job, I would be fired on the spot. The part # is the same on any pump. I think. I checked for my application, and then a 1500 and it came up with the same #.

Try this new valve...

Lack of Steering Assist or Shudder During Parking Lot Type Maneuvers - keywords bind booster brake hard hydraulic low no noise oil power slow speed steer trailer #PIT3386A - (Apr 28, 2005)

2002-2005 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2002-2005 Chevrolet Avalanche

1999-2005 Express, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

1999-2005 GMC Sierra, Savana, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL

2003-2005 Hummer H2

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in the PI.

Condition/Concern:

Some customers may comment on a lack of steering assist or shudder during parking lot type maneuvers.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Please follow normal diagnostics in eSI for this condition. If the customer situation warrants a repair, replace the current pressure control valve with P/N 26095470, available from GMSPO. This valve will provide additional steering assist during parking lot type maneuvers. If this concern occurs when stopped or at very slow speeds with brakes applied, please reference PIT3310.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

And the PIT3310 mentioned in the above says this...

"Please follow normal diagnostics in SI2000 for this condition. If vehicle passes the Power Steering Pressure Test Procedure this may be a normal condition. A lack of steering assist could occur if the brakes are applied and turning the steer wheel with the vehicle stopped or during parking lot type maneuvers . No repairs should be attempted as this is a characteristic of the vehicle."

Basically, if you clamp down on the brakes and the vehicle's not moving, it's going to be nearly impossible to turn the wheel. I can duplicate this in just about any truck I get in.

And fellas, remember to grease your front end joints and bearings (the zerks). I find that every 5k miles or so that my truck begins to slag and drag when at a stand still and trying to turn the wheel. My steering gets back to normal when I grease the points. Try that first (and make sure you keep doing it, of course) and then you may save yourself the trouble of parts and labor! It sure saved me a headache.

If I remember right, this was a recall performed on all Hydro-Boost equipped trucks and SUV's, correct? I had it replaced on recall about a year ago. It should be still covered right? GM-Tech, the bulletin you posted describes the symptoms to a tee, thank you, you have been invaluable on this site.

If I remember right, this was a recall performed on all Hydro-Boost equipped trucks and SUV's, correct?

The valve mentioned is the pressure control valve that goes in the P.S. pump and is not related to that recall, which was a component of the hydro-boost unit itself.

And the PIT3310 mentioned in the above says this...

"Please follow normal diagnostics in SI2000 for this condition. If vehicle passes the Power Steering Pressure Test Procedure this may be a normal condition. A lack of steering assist could occur if the brakes are applied and turning the steer wheel with the vehicle stopped or during parking lot type maneuvers . No repairs should be attempted as this is a characteristic of the vehicle."

Basically, if you clamp down on the brakes and the vehicle's not moving, it's going to be nearly impossible to turn the wheel. I can duplicate this in just about any truck I get in.

bulletin is for trucks up to '05,Shawns truck is an '06,but what ever,good luck

If I remember right, this was a recall performed on all Hydro-Boost equipped trucks and SUV's, correct?

The valve mentioned is the pressure control valve that goes in the P.S. pump and is not related to that recall, which was a component of the hydro-boost unit itself.

OK, I see. I know the bulletin suggest that you don't "do-it-yourself". It seems rather simple though. Could a "shade-tree" mechanic like me do it? The part is only $16.95 through GM Parts Direct. My dealership here in BFE Utah is a "partschanging" moron. He has already diagnosed it over the phone as a bad pump and has no idea about this bulletin or how to access it. I don't trust them. If possible, I will just order it and change it myself. Thanks again.

Archived