Front Diff Fuild change

I have a 2001 4wd 5.3L Tahoe with 95,000 miles I picked up a year ago and it's time for some maintenance. I'm changing all the fluids and had some questions. As I understand the rear diff uses the synthetic oil with NO friction modifier and the front diff uses the dino gear oil, but the guy at the dealership (who didn't seem to have it all together) said the front diff needed friction modifier.

Thoughts??????

No the front diff is standard 80W-90 however if you live in colder climates (I assume you do since it says OHIO in your name) you can put the synthetic in the front diff too. There was a TSB concerning this. Next time I change the front diff I am going to add 75W-90 Mobil 1.

No friction modifier for the 99 new body style trucks and up.

No the front diff is standard 80W-90 however if you live in colder climates (I assume you do since it says OHIO in your name) you can put the synthetic in the front diff too.  There was a TSB concerning this.  Next time I change the front diff I am going to add 75W-90 Mobil 1. 

No friction modifier for the 99 new body style trucks and up.

I don't use friction modifier but when I switched gears, I got 80W90 in the front and 75W90 in the rear. Amsoil sells both. Of course, I will have to do it again since I will drive this set of gears for 500 miles for a break in.

I  have a 2001 4wd 5.3L Tahoe with 95,000 miles I picked up a year ago and it's time for some maintenance.  I'm changing all the fluids and had some questions.  As I understand the rear diff uses the synthetic oil with NO friction modifier and the front diff uses the dino gear oil, but the guy at the dealership (who didn't seem to  have it all together) said the front diff needed friction modifier.

Thoughts??????

Yea! The guy dosen't know what the hell he's talking about!

I  have a 2001 4wd 5.3L Tahoe with 95,000 miles I picked up a year ago and it's time for some maintenance.  I'm changing all the fluids and had some questions.  As I understand the rear diff uses the synthetic oil with NO friction modifier and the front diff uses the dino gear oil, but the guy at the dealership (who didn't seem to  have it all together) said the front diff needed friction modifier.

Thoughts??????

Yea! The guy dosen't know what the hell he's talking about!

Need friction modifier for what in the front? It is an open diff, isn't it? What clutches are there in that diff?

Archived