Improving MPG - fuel economy

This is my first new thread, so hopefully this topic isn't too overdone, if other threads are out there, please point me to them.

Got a 2005 5.3 Silverado, Z71, 3.43, ext Cab, fleet side, want better fuel economy. I am currently getting around 13, take it to work and back, about 5 miles, 60/40 in town/highway... want to get to about 15. Looking at tonneau cover, intake, exhaust? Anything...

Know about cars so I know an intake/exhaust should help here, so I am looking for product specifics, K & N vs. Injen vs. Airaid vs. Volant... Specifically looking for the pros/cons of the Volant system that has it's intake down at the front towhooks.

Thanks in advance!!!

If you are looking into a cold air intake system, I would strongly suggest that you look closely at the True Flow set up. The retain the factory box but replace the filter with their dual stage foam filter. The stock tube goes away and is replace with a really nice looking metal tube with silicone boots. I researched this for alomst a year before deciding on the True Flow set up. It is very high qulaity, fits and looks great, they are very nice folks to speak with if you call them and their website is wonderful. I do not believe in cotton gauze filters simply because they will allow in more dirt than I find acceptable. Other people are ok with this but I simply did not want to give up filtration for air flow. The True Flow filter will flow better than a paper but not as good as a cotton gauze.

I have had mine for about 3 weeks and have checked my MPG on only 2 tanks since installing it. My Wife's Yukon XL 5.3 L 4.10 gears was averaging about 17.5 with some highway but mostly rural running around. My first tank with the True Flow was 18.1 and the second was 19.6. This is not enough to decide what it will really average out to but I am pleased at this point. Also, you will not hear it at normal throttle but it will make a little music when pushed. The claim an extra 15HP and I believe 18 ft lbs of tq. I can feel the difference beginning around 2600 on up to the top of the rpms.

I also belive in and use Lucas Fuel System treatment at the rate of 3 ozs per 10 gallons. I have used it for years in the Dodge Caravans that I travel in for work and I have proven a solid 1 mpg increas in these vans. It is a great upper cyl lube and will help the top end of your engine.

That truck with tires at about 39psi, tonneau cover, and driven properly should get an average of 17 city and 19 HWY. Either your driving too fast or hotrodding it. My employe's driving my business trucks get better than your getting with there tools in the trucks.

There are several things you can do to increase MPG.

First, use a light right foot! And coast to stop when you can -- instead of hard on throttle, then hard breaking.

Next, make sure tires are inflated to proper PSI (or even a little higher:))

Intake will help, but be careful. You want to make sure you are filtering dust / dirt out. A filter that increases airflow but does not cut out dust / dirt will hurt you in long run. Engines don't like dust / dirt.

Chip it(?) I installed Westers and asked him to help my MPG. That combined with Volant intake took my city numbers from 8.5 MPG to 10-11 MPG. And Highway increased from 11 to the 12-14 range. Not earth shaking improvements, but remember, I'm driving 8.1/Allison Crew Cab 2500HD 4x4.

HOpe this helps.

This is my first new thread, so hopefully this topic isn't too overdone, if other threads are out there, please point me to them.

Got a 2005 5.3 Silverado, Z71, 3.43, ext Cab, fleet side, want better fuel economy.  I am currently getting around 13, take it to work and back, about 5 miles, 60/40 in town/highway... want to get to about 15.  Looking at tonneau cover, intake, exhaust?  Anything...

Know about cars so I know an intake/exhaust should help here, so I am looking for product specifics, K & N vs. Injen vs. Airaid vs. Volant... Specifically looking for the pros/cons of the Volant system that has it's intake down at the front towhooks.

Thanks in advance!!!

tonneau cover

YOU MIGHT WANT TO WATCH MYTHBUSTERS. THEY DID A TEST TO SEE IF THE MYTH IF YOU PUT YOUR TAILGATE DOWN YOU WILL GET BETTER AERO. THEY DID THE TEST WITH TAILGATE UP NO COVER, TAILGATE DOWN NO COVER, AND TAILGATE UP WITH COVER...PER THE FINDINGS THERE FOUND YOU GET BETTER AERO WITH TAILGATE UP WITH OUT COVER. NEXT INLINE WAS TAILGATE DOWN, AND WITH THE MOST DRAG TAILGATE UP WITH COVER

The cooler the ambent air temp is the more fuel the MAF will request the PCM to add. If you get in a colder climate your going to suffer on fuel economy. The General has come up with an air intake that gives the best of both worlds. The better flowing air intakes only help in WOT applications. My self cant drive more than maybe .005% of the time at WOT.

Here is the study done by the U of M on tonneau covers.

http://sitemaker.umich.edu/um.gm.truck

This was backed up by the GM wind tunnel and NASCAR trucks use a tonneau too.

The cooler the ambent air temp is the more fuel the MAF will request the PCM to add. If you get in a colder climate your going to suffer on fuel economy. The General has come up with an air intake that gives the best of both worlds. The better flowing air intakes only help in WOT applications. My self cant drive more than maybe .005% of the time at WOT.

EITHER I MISUNDER STOOD WHAT MYTHBUSTERS WERE SAYING OR THEY ARE JUST WRONG.

What you said concerning the CAI s only benefit at WOT is true with some units. True FLow retains the factory air box and replaces only the filter and the tube itself. This allows the same air from the inner fender to hit the MAF. You can reveiw theri dyno results on a 4.8 L on their website and you will see the 14 HP and 19Ft Lbs (if I remember correctly) increase comes in low to mid RPMs. In fact the peak #s are in the exact RPM range as the peak factory #s. I can definitly feel some increase in my truck beginning around 2600RPMs all the way up. Take a look at their Website, they do a good job explaining their product.

Different trucks ( whether brand or cab configuration) might have different results? What did mythbusters use?

Different trucks ( whether brand or cab configuration) might have different results? What did mythbusters use?

If your talking about the T/G down it dosent matter. All truck MFR's have designed and tested there trucks with no tonneau and T/G up. Air going over the open gate will pull down and push against the air coming rearward under the truck causing drag. I was in the windtunnel at GM on a project and watched the results with my own eyes. A cover even over the rear half of the box will work as well as a full tonneau.

If your talking about the T/G down it dosent matter. All truck MFR's have designed and tested there trucks with no tonneau and T/G up. Air going over the open gate will pull down and push against the air coming rearward under the truck causing drag. I was in the windtunnel at GM on a project and watched the results with my own eyes. A cover even over the rear half of the box will work as well as a full tonneau.

Aren't you the guy that first posted that link here a couple of years ago?

If so, thanks a ton, I've used that study to convice a number of people to actually test it in real life, and every one of them has come back to me and told me that it does better with it up, and to thank me for letting them know.

But trust me on this one...Do NOT, under ANY conditions, try and tell ANY man over the age of 70 that his truck will do better with the gate up.

You would lose that argument with Einstein backing you up. :cheers:

I probably posted it here 3-4 times. Having counseled many people on the T/G down i simply tell them that it damages the box sides (T/G bouncing up & down) and in some states its illegal to remove it & lowered its a liability let alone backing up and running into something. They usually get the picture.

Archived